Re: [Synoptic-L] Temptation in Mark

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2008
      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      On: Angels
      From: Bruce

      Leonard is quite right; the ministering angels are present in Mt 4:11b as
      well as in Mk 1:13c. And I quite agree (I had already noticed) that angels
      are uncharacteristic of Mk generally, save as the trappings of Heavenly rule
      (or as the conditions of life in Heaven; no other angel does anything in the
      present tense in Mk).

      Whether that means that Mk is here indebted to Mt (as he cannot very
      conveniently be said to be at several other points in his short narrative)
      or is using something with a non-Matthean origin, may be left to other
      discussion. But I do apologize for the slip.