Presuppositions--Re: [Synoptic-L] Birth Narratives

  • John N. Lupia
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2008
      Dennis:

      The questions are rhetorical. Each answers them their
      own way and the dice fall where they may. . . . which
      is my point. However, I do disagree that if Jesus is
      God then there is no Synoptic Problem. The entire
      premise or issue is one of perception and
      interpretation to begin with. Depending on which model
      you use the perceptions and interpretations will vary
      greatly.

      Also, I disagree with your statement :
      > Incarnate would certainly make sure that everything
      written about him (that existed) was correct<. No, not
      everything, only those texts which His Church declared
      to be true and accurate, texts which we call
      canonical. That is the whole point behind canonical
      texts and those the Church rejected as apocryphal.

      John

      --- In Synoptic@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Dean Carpenter" <ddcanne@...>
      wrote:

      > John Lupia questions, "The crux of the matter is
      > did Jesus institute a Church prior to the crucifixion,
      > or not? Was Jesus merely an ordinary man with nice
      > qualities, or is He God Incarnate? The answers to
      > these questions determine our approach to the study of
      > the New testament since it is >impossible< to separate
      > them. "
      >
      > It seems to me that the first question could possibly be a question
      for historical inquiry. The second question, however, carries a
      presupposition that would not be historical but supernatural. If one
      approaches historical Jesus studies from the viewpoint that Jesus was
      "God Incarnate," is there any need to delve any further? At that
      point, there is no reason to fret about the historical situation of
      first century Judah or Galilee, because if Jesus was/is "God
      Incarnate" there is no reason to question the Christian Testament,
      since a God Incarnate would certainly make sure that everything
      written about him (that existed) was correct, wouldn't he? There would
      be no "synoptic problem," we are back to the idea of different
      witnesses telling different stories and other apologetics, aren't we?

      > Doesn't the second presupposition preclude "historical study?"
      >
      > Dennis Dean Carpenter
      > Dahlonega, Ga.
      >
      > (John, I didn't mean to send the post directly to you. I post so
      little on this forum, I'd forgotten I had to send to all.)