Markan non-primitivity & the FT

  • gentile_dave@emc.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2008
      Ron: Fleddermann confidently asserts that Mark is always secondary to Q
      in overlap texts.

      Dave: I read quite a bit of this book, maybe all of it at one point or
      another. Very often he slips into showing that the Q version *could*
      have been first in a particular case. But I'd be willing to allow the
      possibility without argument. He often fails (in my opinion) to show
      that Q is probably first. I also recall that I disagreed with his
      assumptions at points. For some passages he does succeed (in my view) in
      showing the Q version to be more probably the earlier, but given the
      uncertain nature of these arguments, that could be consistent with
      Markian priority as well. In addition, where I judge he does succeed, I
      tend to think we are dealing with a late interpolation in Mark.

      Of course, since I'm not providing argument for my view, I don't expect
      this to influence anyone else. That was just my take on it.

      Dave Gentile

      Riverside, IL