Re: [Synoptic-L] what the devil is the Devil "up to" in the wilderness temptation narrative?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 12 10:30 PM
      To: Synoptic
      On: Motives of the Devil in Mt/Lk
      From: Bruce

      The tendency of scholarship to feed on itself is not necessarily its most
      appealing side, but to an occasional survey of previous opinion there can be
      no reasonable objection, and I certainly wish Jeffrey well with this one.

      I noted with interest the five highly ingenious explanations he has so far
      assembled. None of them seems to me to be correct. As so often, it may be
      wise to consider these things in context, which for Mt/Lk (as I see it)
      means Markan context. Why not include that in the survey, as long as one is
      going to be looking things up anyway?

      As for making a list of who agrees with whom ("So I'd be grateful as well
      if List members
      would give me the names of those you know to be advocates of one or the
      other (or of several) of the listed (and unlisted) stances"). I am a little
      more dubious. If the orthodoxy police get hold of that list on Tuesday
      night, how many of us will be showing up for our jobs Wednesday morning?