Mustard Seed

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2008
      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      On: Mustard Seed
      From: Bruce

      Another interesting Oxford paper, combining two topics of perennial
      interest, is Charles W Hedrick, The Parables and the Synoptic Problem. The
      Parable of the Mustard Seed is discussed on p9-17. On p14, I read:

      CWH: There is nothing in Luke that Luke could not have acquired through
      Matthew.

      EBB: This claim is strengthened if in the table on p12-13 we move down
      Luke's phrase "and became" from its present position (opposite Mk's "and
      becomes") the one corresponding to Mt's "and becomes." Either position
      requires a tense change in Lk, so the identities can be said to be equally
      identical.

      The Farmer Synopticon, however, shows a couple of places within the parable
      where Lk has a KAI that is without precedent in Mt, but *is* present in Mk.
      More convincingly, perhaps, the whole introduction to the parable proper is
      closely similar in Mk/Lk, but different in Mt. Thus:

      Mk: 4:30. "And he said, With what can we compare the Kingdom of God, or what
      parable shall we use for it?
      Mt 13:31. "Another parable he put before them, saying"
      Lk 13:18. "He said therefore, What is the Kingdom of God like? And to what
      shall I compare it?"

      One can dismiss Lk 13:18 as "Lukan redaction:" not part of the parable at
      all, and thus outside the present discussion. But isn't it nevertheless
      suggestive that Lk, if he had only Mt before him, has spontaneously invented
      this double unanswered rhetorical question redaction, in uncanny resemblance
      to Mk, to whom, on present hypothesis, he owes nothing in this section?