Dave Gentile on 1Th 2:15-16 Scenarios

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2008
      To: Synoptic
      From: Dave Gentile
      On: 1Th 2:15-16 Scenarios
      Via: Bruce

      [This message came to me personally. At the request of the sender, I am
      forwarding it, as originally intended, to Synoptic. It refers to my
      suggested A [Home Interpolation], B [Scribal Interpolation], and C [No
      Interpolation] scenarios for 1Th 2:15-16. / Bruce]

      I'd also add that the odds of scenario B probably fall rapidly as time goes
      on. The more copies exist, and the more established and unchanging the
      orthodoxy becomes, the more difficult full replacement becomes. Thus our
      best guess, to minimize our probable error, would place interpolations like
      this rather early, say early 2nd century.

      Although there is an argument for not placing it TOO early. In the very
      first stages, there would still be easy access to the original document, at
      least for some. But then, we can note the obvious fact that none of the
      originals survive, so at some point that ceases to be an issue. Also it is
      not much of an issue for those with large geographic separation. The change
      might occur early, proliferate in one area removed from the original source,
      and only later return to back-contaminate the original location.

      Here I'm reminded of a recent study on cat evolution. Modern house pets are
      related to a middle-eastern desert cat. Modern Cheetahs are found only in
      Africa, both have their original roots in an old-world cat-ancestor as well,
      but both spent a period of their evolutionary history exclusively in the
      Americas. So there were back-and-forth migrations. Things don't necessarily
      progress in a nice neat straight line.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, IL