908Re: [Synoptic-L] Testing the 3ST

    Dec 14, 2007
      Dave Gentile wrote:

      > And although obviously the later authors are less faithful to Mark
      > than their other source(s), at least by this measure, it also still
      > seems that the total length of the section could be important. One
      > piece of information that might be useful here – how many contiguous
      > blocks of material are there in xQ and how many are in sQ?

      Dave,

      There are about 14 contiguous xQ-material blocks in Matthew, where each
      block could perhaps be said to represent a pericope. There are 11 contiguous
      sQ blocks in the logia (separated by non-Double-Tradition sayings). But
      these contain about 60 sayings.

      > How many total words in sQ?

      If we define sQ (as I now do) as that part of the Double Tradition which
      came from the logia, then sQ has 2381 Greek words of the 2762 Greek words in
      my current reconstruction of the logia.

      > xQ?

      The xQ material in Matthew consists of about 1770 Greek words.

      Thus sQ/xQ is about 4/3 (a correction of my previous estimate of 5/3).