906Testing the 3ST

    Dec 12, 2007
      Dave Gentile wrote:

      > One other concern - one of the criteria you use, I believe, is
      that
      > narrative material belongs to Matthew, in general. Wouldn't these
      tend
      > to be longer?

      Dave,

      The narrative pericopes tend to be longer, but it seems that they
      tend to be copied less faithfully. At least this is my interpretation of the
      following:

      In the material derived from Mark I have found only ten strings common to
      Matthew and Luke which have more than ten words (format Matthew // Luke /
      number of consecutive common words):

      3:3 // 3:4 / 14
      8:2 // 5:12-13 / 18
      12:4 // 6:4 / 11
      14:19 // 9:16 / 12
      16:21 // 9:22 / 14
      16:25 // 9:24 / 16
      17:17 // 9:41 / 12
      22:44 // 20:42-3 / 15
      24:19 // 21:23 / 11
      24:34 // 21:32 / 13

      These 10 cases in the Markan set of data can be compared with the 23 I found
      in the part of the Double Tradition assigned to xQ, which is less than a
      fifth of the size of the Mark-related data!