746Re: [Synoptic-L] Keramon

  • R. Steven Notley
    Oct 16, 2006
      Gentlemen

      Perhaps I missed it, but I can not see that anyone responded or took
      note of my contribution to this discussion last week. Discussion has
      continued unabated regarding "ladders" and whether the stairs were
      inside or outside the houses.

      I answered succinctly because of lack of personal time, but also
      because the issues are not in question or difficult.

      First, there were no tiles in Galilee or anywhere in Judea prior to
      70 CE. It is universally attested that they were introduced by the
      Roman X Legion after the conquest of Jerusalem and Judea. Mention of
      tiles in most (but not all) manuscript readings of Luke 5:19 must be
      explained otherwise.

      Second, the style of houses in first century Galilee are well known
      to those who are familiar with Roman period archaeology in Judea.
      The courtyard styled houses are referred to by the term "insula
      houses." Indeed we have many such fine examples in Roman period
      Capernaum and Chorazin, including the so-called "St. Peter's house"
      in Capernaum.

      I refer you now to a brief excerpt from the Encyclopedia of
      Archaeological Excavations in the Holy Land (4 vols.; Jerusalem:
      IES, 1993) 1:292, "The houses [i.e. of Capernaum] are characterized
      by large courts surrounded by small dwelling chambers. The life of
      an extended family centered around a communal court. In the courts
      were ovens, staircases for access to roofs, and only one exit to the
      street."

      Having lived in Israel for 16 years, I have visited these
      archaeological remains too many times to count.

      There were no ladders. Stairs to access the roof were always within
      the family dwelling complex. With few exceptions, homes were single
      story. Capernaum is over 650 feet below sea level and in the summer
      gets unbearably hot and humid. The stairs provided access in the
      summers for a family to sleep where it might be cooler.
      Nevertheless, as Josephus describes in the collapse of the roofs in
      Gamla when the Roman soldiers tried to use them in their escape from
      the Jewish onslaught, the roofs were not intended to bear much weight.

      Typical roofing material was what is referred to in the US as a "sod
      roof" that included larger branches, then small reeds and finally
      covered with straw and mud. Primarily, these were intended to keep
      out the weather. It is not unlikely that these had to be repaired
      annually. One can even see today in Capernaum and elsewhere the
      basalt rollers that were used to repair the roofs.

      Hope this helps.

      Blessings,
      R. Steven Notley
      Nyack College, NYC