736RE: [Synoptic-L] Keramon

  • David Hindley
    Oct 11, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: David Hindley [mailto:dhindley@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:49 AM
      To: 'No Reply'
      Subject: RE: [Synoptic-L] Digest Number 133

      All I can do is point you to a message on B-Hebrew that seemed to link to some resources on the matters at hand.

      You may need to consult authorities on Galilean archeology and/or building practices in the ancient Mediterranean region.

      It looks to me like the author of Luke, by using the plural, is referring to roof tiles, common in Roman or Greek influenced towns
      and cities but relatively rare in the Galilean countryside, to accommodate the expectations of his intended audience (Roman
      administrators or the magistrates of the "free" cities). Mark on the other hand just tells it like it probably was, with the men
      digging through a part of a thatch and mud roof.

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio USA

      From: Emmanuel Fritsch

      1. Keramon
      Posted by: "Emmanuel Fritsch" Emmanuel.Fritsch@... archeboc
      Date: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:59 am (PDT)

      Arguing about technical details in Luke on a french forum, we deeply disagree about "keramon" in Luke 5:19. It has been said that
      were not present in Syria at the beginning of Ist century, so that it constitutes an error of Luke.

      Since I was not convinced, I said it, and I have been sharply accused for being a defender of inerrancy.
      Hence I would like to look around the question.

      Even if "tiles" for "keramon" is the mainstream translation, in french, english, german, we have other translation for this
      "keramon". Segond translate "par une ouverture du toit".

      Bailly, the standard greek-french dictionnary, proposes "clay".
      Greek online bible (http://www.greekbible.com) proposes :
      > 1) clay, potter's earth
      > 2) anything made of clay, earthen ware > 3) a roofing tile > 3a) the roof itself > 3b) the phrase "through the roof", means
      through the door in the
      > roof to which a ladder or stairway led up from the street
      > (according to the Rabbis distinguish two ways of entering
      > a house, "the way through the door" and "the way through
      > the roof". For Synonyms see entry 5858

      I would like to know :
      - what is the source for this definition ? (and for the whole lexicon of greek online bible)
      - are there any other stuff about the translation of "keramon" I should have looked at ?
      - are there any other stuff about "keramon" in Luke ?

      Thanks in advance,

      Messages in this topic (24)

      Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l

      Yahoo! Groups Links