735Keramon

  • Emmanuel Fritsch
    Oct 11, 2006
      Hello,

      Arguing about technical details in Luke on a french forum, we deeply
      disagree about "keramon" in Luke 5:19. It has been said that "tiles"
      were not present in Syria at the beginning of Ist century, so that it
      constitutes an error of Luke.

      Since I was not convinced, I said it, and I have been sharply accused
      for being a defender of inerrancy.
      Hence I would like to look around the question.

      Even if "tiles" for "keramon" is the mainstream translation, in french,
      english, german, we have other translation for this "keramon". Segond
      translate "par une ouverture du toit".

      Bailly, the standard greek-french dictionnary, proposes "clay".
      Greek online bible (http://www.greekbible.com) proposes :
      > 1) clay, potter's earth
      > 2) anything made of clay, earthen ware
      > 3) a roofing tile
      > 3a) the roof itself
      > 3b) the phrase "through the roof", means through the door in the
      > roof to which a ladder or stairway led up from the street
      > (according to the Rabbis distinguish two ways of entering
      > a house, "the way through the door" and "the way through
      > the roof". For Synonyms see entry 5858

      I would like to know :
      - what is the source for this definition ? (and for the whole lexicon of
      greek online bible)
      - are there any other stuff about the translation of "keramon" I should
      have looked at ?
      - are there any other stuff about "keramon" in Luke ?

      Thanks in advance,

      a+
      manu
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic