      Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:15 AM
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] Synoptic-L Query about efthasen

      Does anyone have the reading of the Sinaitic Syriac for its
      translation of the verb efthasen in Lk. 12.20?
      I don?t have access to this just at present.

      (I think its text of the equivalent passage in Mt.12.28
      may not be available, but would be of interest if it were
      there).

      I ask, as the Greek verb fthanw can mean come before, precede,
      or just come, or arrive, but also come upon, or take someone
      unexpectedly. The last of these fits the context well, and also
      resonates with a passage in the Aramaic of Daniel where the
      relevant Aramaic verb means come upon or happen to.

      But the Curetonian and the Peshitta in their rendering into
      Syriac use a less dramatic verb. Hence my wish to identify
      which verb is in use in the Sinaitic Syriac.

      The Greek verb is used quite widely, but in the NT only in
      these two passages, and in a handful of places in Paul.