4962RE: [Synoptic-L] Marcion's gospel - Summarizing my analysis

    Oct 20, 2013

      Bruce wrote:  Then it is probably equally doubtful to posit his knowledge only of the first version of Luke (my Luke A), and not any subsequent version.

      I don’t know that anyone is positing the above. We know that Marcion knew a later version of Luke AS WELL as the version that he promotes as his “Gospel of the Lord,” because in Adv. Marcion IV ch 4 Tertullian writes: “I say that my Gospel is the true one; Marcion, that his is. I affirm that Marcion’s Gospel is adulterated; Marcion, that mine is.” In other words, Marcion acknowledged the existence of what we know as Lk, but considered it to be an ‘adulterated’ (and so later) version of his, which (depending on how it came into Marcion’s hands) could pre-date Marcion himself.