4960RE: [Synoptic-L] Marcion's gospel - Summarizing my analysis

    Oct 16, 2013

      Bruce asked: “Do Marcion’s seeming excisions to the Epistles actually correspond to passages which can be analyzed as post-Pauline irenic interpolations? If so, they may at least be relatively less corrupt versions. Does 1 Cor 13 appear? Goes Galatians 5:13-6:10? Romans 1:18-2:29?”

      I do not have any good answer yet, but I will say that the text of Marcion’s versions of the Paulines is much less certain than that of Luke’s gospel. The big problem is that although Tertullian and Epiphanius almost never disagree as to the content of Marcion’s gospel (although often Epiphanius comments where Tertullian does not), there are some major disagreements re. the Paulines, to the point where it seems that either Tertullian and Epiphanius saw significantly different versions of Marcion’s copies, or (more likely, in my opinion) they saw significantly different copies of the Paulines themselves. For example:

      1 Thes:  Epiphanius: “Since Marcion has a distorted version of everything …  I cite nothing from it.” Tertullian refers to a few verses, but does not suggest that anything is different in Marcion’s version.

      2 Thes: Epiphanius: “Since Second Thessalonians … has likewise been distorted by Marcion himself, again I cite nothing from it.” Tertullian notes just 2 differences.

      Phm: Epiphanius: “In any case I cite nothing from this Epistle, Philemon, since Marcion has it in a completely distorted form.” Tertullian: “To this epistle alone did its brevity avail to protect it against the falsifying hands of Marcion.”

      Although I have not yet gone through the other Paulines in detail wrt Marcion, it does appear to me that what we have here is very similar to what we see with Marcion’s gospel: Epiphanius notes many more differences than Tertullian, and I suspect that further analysis will show that this is due to Tertullian and Epiphanius seeing different versions of the Paulines.