4890Re: [Synoptic-L] Error in Rethinking the Gospel Sources, Volume 2, The Unity and Plurality of Q, by D R Burkett?

    Jul 3 5:52 AM
      David Inglis wrote:

      > ... Mk 3:29a is actually a parallel to Mt 12:32b, so that, after the
      > table, Burkett is incorrect when he says that Luke "includes only the material
      > that Matthew would have added to Mark (Matt 12:32ab)." Therefore, aLk is not,
      > as he suggests, just following "Matthew's additions." Could someone please
      > check/confirm?

      David,

      Certainly Throckmorton's "Gospel Parallels" agrees with you here.
      However I'm not so sure. Matthew has a near-duplication in Mt 12:31a and
      12:32a, and I think it more likely that Mk 3:29a parallels the former
      because they both include 'blaspheme', 'spirit' and 'no forgiveness'.

      Nevertheless I don't understand Burkett's case. Why shouldn't Luke
      occasionally pick out and copy texts from Matthew that were not derived from
      Mark?

      Thanks for the google book reference. I note that Burkett posits *two*
      unattested documents, namely Q and proto-Mark. Also he tries to explain the
      MAs by assuming they were present in proto-Mark. But even if he could
      justify the existence of proto-Mark, it is highly unlikely that Mark would
      have gone to the trouble of changing the MAs, if only because that would in
      many cases involve replacing good Greek by somewhat cruder Greek.