4436Re: [Synoptic-L] Poirier & length of Luke (and Acts)

    Aug 3, 2012
      David Mealand wrote:

      > ..... If Luke 1 & 2 are additions, and if David I's attempts to recover the
      > Luke known to Marcion provide evidence for this, then what is the status, on
      > this view, of the Lukan preface?

      While I can't claim to be able to fit Marcion's text into the history of the
      editions of Luke, the clear implication of my page hypothesis is that the
      original text of Luke did contain the preface. The original with its truly
      majestic opening (1:1-4; 3:1-2) was a codex of 60 pages, and this was
      expanded into a codex of 68 pages corresponding to the extant Luke. This was
      achieved by the addition of the birth narratives (1:5 - 2:52, 7 pages) and
      the Parable of the Pounds (19:12-27, 1 page).

      For what it's worth, I consider the evidence for this text history (seen in
      the light of a successful application of the page hypothesis to all the
      other major NT books) to be overwhelming.