4422Re: [Synoptic-L] Poirier's article in latest JSNT

    Aug 1, 2012
      I have just downloaded and read through the main argument in John
      Poirier's article. I like the extended emphasis on the realia of ancient
      writing techniques, and the examples from the ancient world which
      are cited. I was slightly surprised that, after the lengthy case made out
      for the possibility of Luke having proceeded in reverse order through
      a source scroll, he then fairly briefly states that actually he doesn't think
      that he did do this. But then I thought that in fact I would agree
      with both propositions - Luke could have done it (on the evidence
      provided), but no
      I also don't think that he did do so. The second section on the wax tablets
      also contains many interesting and useful insights. The possible explanation
      for Luke's major omission is fascinating and ingenious, but rather
      speculative. On most issues, however, I find the article contains many
      valuable insights into how ancient writings were produced, and avoids
      hasty or doctrinaire leaps in favour of particular theories about specific
      texts.

      I would strongly recommend others to read the article.

      Perhaps I could offer one passing suggestion which might appeal to
      those who still take the 2ST seriously - the use of wax tablets could
      also have helped Matthew note down bits of Q (and M) to fit into
      appropriate places in his more topically structured text ;-)