      To: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      From: ron-price@...
      Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 18:11:08 +0100
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] The coming kingdom

      Apologies for the late reply. I've been on holiday in the English Lake

      District.

      David Cavanagh wrote:

      > If, as you suggest below, the original statement was thought to refer to

      > a return of Jesus, and the evangelists increasingly saw this as a

      > problem because it was not happening, and attempted to adapt the

      > materials, why do they not drop the reference to the present generation

      > of "some who are standing here"

      David,

      Each synoptic evangelist had a problem when dealing with an embarrassing

      text. Such a text could be repeated in full, abbreviated, altered, and/or

      put in a context which essentially changed its meaning. Thus the dropping of

      a reference would depend on how the particular evangelist felt at the time

      about the degree of embarrassment the reference caused.

      > ..... But Mark is the earliest gospel, and I very much doubt that Jesus

      > "failure to return" would actually be a problem as early as AD65-70.

      Mark, the earliest gospel, was probably written in 71 CE, shortly after the

      fall of Jerusalem. This was fully 40 years after the crucifixion, and plenty

      of time to be worried about the absence of a 'return' which had been

      expected to be imminent. Certainly Paul had expected it to be within his

      lifetime when he wrote to the Thessalonians: " ... we who are alive, who are

      left until the coming of the Lord ..." (1 Thess 4:15). But by the time he

      wrote the Philippian 'Joyful Letter', he seems to have changed his mind.

      (Php 1:21-26).