      From: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Synoptic@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of David Inglis
      Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:50 PM
      To: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] Luke's Great Omission

      Did aLk deliberately omit a large portion of Mk, or did he have a damaged
      copy of Mk that did not include a large
      portion of the text? It is increasingly looking to me that the latter is by
      far the more likely. Earlier this year I
      posted the following on another list:

      I've just created a synoptic parallel that covers the whole of Lk 9, and
      based on this it definitely seems to me that Lk
      has a discontinuity in the middle of v. 9:18, corresponding roughly to Mk
      6:46 and 8:27b:

      "And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, . . his disciples were with
      him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say
      the people that I am?" that is easily explained by pages missing from Mk.

      However, I don't think that's the end of the story, because I see way more
      differences between Mk 6:47-8:27a and Mt
      14:23b-16:12 than I expected. I also suspect that as well as aLk's copy of
      Mk having a big chunk missing, I think that
      various pages either side of the gap were out or order. However, that awaits
      a more detailed analysis.

      Since then I've been looking in more detail at some of this issue, and it
      looks to me as though aLk did actually have
      some fragments of the text of the Great Omission, and, not knowing where
      they were supposed to go, used them as the
      basis of the beginning of Lk 12:

      Lk 12:1a In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable
      multitude of people, insomuch that they
      trode one upon another,

      Why is this here? The reference to the multitude has nothing to do with what
      comes next, especially when it appears that
      Jesus then ignores the multitude, and speaks instead to just his disciples.
      However, the Great Omission contains several
      references to large numbers of people, which at first sight do not appear to
      be present in Lk:

      Mk 6:45 - Even if aLk had this as a separate fragment it is unlikely to be
      the source of Lk 12:1a, as it refers to
      people leaving. Also, it would seem to be easily connected with Mk 6:44, and
      hence used to follow on from Lk 9:17.

      Mk 8:1-2 - The multitudes are referred to twice. If aLk only had a small
      piece of Mk containing either of both of these
      references it would be hard know what to do with it, apart from simply
      adding a reference to the number of people and
      moving on. However, even so, the detail about the people treading on one
      another seems to be an added Lukan detail.

      Lk 12:1b he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the
      leaven of the Pharisees,

      This appears to be an obvious parallel to Mk 8:15b. Although Mt 16:6b is
      also a parallel, it seems very unlikely that
      aLk knew this parallel in Mt, because otherwise he would been able to
      include the whole 'leaven' passage instead of just
      this small fragment.

      Lk 12:1c which is hypocrisy.

      This text appears nowhere in either Mk or Mt. Also, aLk appears not to know
      the end of either Mk 8:15 or Mt 16:6. It
      would therefore appear that he finished off the saying by reference to the
      fact that the Pharisees are often referred to
      as hypocrites.

      Lk 12:2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither
      hid, that shall not be known.

      Here aLk continues with text from Mt.

      I'd be interested in comments on whether this seems to be a workable
      hypothesis, or whether there are better sources for
      Lk 12:1.