4009RE: [Synoptic-L] Whoever is not with me is against me

    Feb 4, 2012
      On 04/02/2012 10:16, "Dennis Goffin" <d.goffin@...> wrote:

      > I am unable to go along with Ron's idea that a collection of aphorisms,
      > similar presumably in essence to the socalled Gospel of Thomas can tell us
      > anything other than that, like Thomas, oral sources got written down on more
      > than one occasion, but like Thomas, the result is often not more than a ragbag
      > with no major significance.

      Dennis, Bruce et al.,

      The result in the case of the logia is no ragbag. Rather it is a very
      carefully crafted piece of poetry, as you can see if you look at the web
      page below.

      More importantly, historians know nothing about the author/editor of GTh,
      except possibly his name. On the other hand, the logia was edited by an
      apostle called Matthew, no doubt with the full authority of James the
      brother of Jesus. Therefore it gives us a unique insight into the beliefs of
      the early Jesus movement ca. 45 CE before Paul came along and utterly
      transformed it.

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/syno_sQet.html
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic