4002RE: [Synoptic-L] Whoever is not with me is against me

  • Dennis Goffin
    Feb 2, 2012
      My reading of this incident, Ron, makes me connect it with the exorcism in Mark 9:38. I take it that the basic idea behind this incident is that Jesus sees himself engaged in a cosmic war between the Devil and his angels and demons on the one side and God and the host of heaven on the side of righteousness. In such a contest he saw only two sides and I think that the quotations you have given are merely elaborations on this thought. Dennis Dennis GoffinChorleywood UKTo: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      From: ron-price@...
      Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 11:00:45 +0000
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] Whoever is not with me is against me

      �Whoever is not with me is against me,

      And whoever does not gather with me scatters.�

      The Greek of this aphorism is identical in Mt 12:30 // Lk 11:23. In Mark,

      however, there is what appears to be an equivalent which reads "Whoever is

      not against us is for us". There should be little doubt that Matthew and

      Luke preserve the more original version. Parallelism is a characteristic of

      many of the early aphorisms. Also the exclusivity is what we might expect

      from the early Jesus movement under James, the brother of Jesus. So it looks

      as if Mark has deliberately reversed the default, and this would be

      consistent with his more open outlook in which the "few" to be saved in the

      early aphorisms are replaced by "many" in Mk 10:45.

      My reconstruction of the logia shows the saying in its pre-70 context. It is

      in the mission section (which I called section B) as saying B14, and the

      "gather" clearly alludes to the harvest in saying B3, with its appeal for

      labourers. These two sayings thus form an 'inclusio' or frame for the

      mission section.