4001Whoever is not with me is against me

    Feb 2, 2012
      ┬│Whoever is not with me is against me,
      And whoever does not gather with me scatters.┬▓

      The Greek of this aphorism is identical in Mt 12:30 // Lk 11:23. In Mark,
      however, there is what appears to be an equivalent which reads "Whoever is
      not against us is for us". There should be little doubt that Matthew and
      Luke preserve the more original version. Parallelism is a characteristic of
      many of the early aphorisms. Also the exclusivity is what we might expect
      from the early Jesus movement under James, the brother of Jesus. So it looks
      as if Mark has deliberately reversed the default, and this would be
      consistent with his more open outlook in which the "few" to be saved in the
      early aphorisms are replaced by "many" in Mk 10:45.

      My reconstruction of the logia shows the saying in its pre-70 context. It is
      in the mission section (which I called section B) as saying B14, and the
      "gather" clearly alludes to the harvest in saying B3, with its appeal for
      labourers. These two sayings thus form an 'inclusio' or frame for the
      mission section.