3938Re: [Synoptic-L] Multiple independent witnesses to the miracles of Jesus?

    Nov 10, 2011
      Jeff Peterson wrote:

      > ..... while Paul doesn't mention signs
      > and wonders performed by Jesus, he does regard signs and wonders as marking
      > apostles of the risen Christ (Rom 15:18–19; 2 Cor 12:12).

      Jeff,

      Indeed, Paul himself apparently claimed to have performed signs and wonders,
      though it should be noted in regard to the latter reference above, which is
      Paul's strongest statement on the subject, that the context is his desperate
      desire to present himself as a true apostle. Also he was somewhat agitated
      (2 Cor 12:11).

      But unfortunately none of the four claims to deeds of power (your two plus 1
      Thess 1:5 and 1 Cor 2:4) are accompanied by details. Consequently we can't
      be sure what Paul meant, and there is at least the possibility that he was
      referring to the drama of mass conversions which this persuasive missionary
      no doubt initiated.

      > It wouldn't be a great leap to suppose that Paul had heard reports from
      > Cephas, James, et al. of signs and wonders performed by Christ .....

      But this is nothing more than a supposition, and its perceived likelihood
      depends on whether or not we consider (on other grounds) that Jesus was a
      miracle worker.

      So I still maintain that our only independent witness to Jesus as a miracle
      worker is the gospel of Mark.