      From: Chuck Jones
      To: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:40 AM
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] When is a parallel not a parallel? Also, when is a verse not a verse?

      There are indeed terminological issues here. An important word to add to the discussion is "dependence."

      Lk generally demonstrates more freedom in his wording with pericope that also occur in Mt and Mk. When this happens in the triple tradition, as is the case in "armies surrounding Jerusalem" vs. "the abomination....," we learn at least that Lk is not the "middle term" of the synoptics, i.e., Lk is dependent on Mk or Mt or both or sumpin'.