2869Re: [Synoptic-L] Source Theories & HHB Concordance

    Dec 3, 2010
      Geoffrey Riggs asks about Dave Gentile's
      work on Synoptic agreement data.

      For those who may not have looked closely at
      Dave Gentile's work it is based on analysis
      of the data contained in the HHB
      (= Hoffmann, Hieke, & Bauer)
      Synoptic Concordance which divides the evidence into
      19 categories showing varying patterns of agreement
      from full triple agreement to material found in
      one gospel only, and differentiating full and
      partial agreements.

      DG analyses 807 of the most frequent words (HHB
      doesn't give data for some very frequent words
      though). His analysis produces end results which
      show which of the 19 types of material correlate
      closely with which other ones.

      His conclusion runs as follows:

      > So, in conclusion, based on this study and other more traditional
      > forms of evidence, not presented here, I believe the 3SH, or some
      > variation of it is most likely the correct solution. The study also
      > provides almost as much support for the FH, and I do not believe the
      > 2SH can be eliminated by this study.

      A cross check on his correlations using an
      entirely different method suggests they are
      well founded. However some caution
      needs to be noted a) some of the 19 categories are very
      large and some very small b) this makes it difficult to
      partition the data to check within-group consistency
      c) HHB omits details of the words of highest frequency
      d) some allowance needs to be made for differences due
      to genre and HHB does not encode for this. Despite
      these words of caution I think this study makes very
      good use of the data from HHB and I don't know of
      anything else which does it better. Can anyone else
      point to a comparable study based on HHB ?