      From: Chuck Jones
      To: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 4:05 PM
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] THE CHRISTOLOGY OF ACTS

      Dennis,
      I think we need to ask whether we are reading atonement theology into this verse because of our familiarity with other NT material.
      Beginning in v. 22 Paul has been predicting his own upcoming persecution and imprisonment. In v. 26 he adds, "I am not responsible for the blood of any of you [elders of Ephesus]." In v. 29 he continues, "[A]fter I have gone, savage wolves with come in among you, not sparing the flock...that he obtained with the blood of his own son." (NRSV)
      There is no reason, within this passage, to read "the blood of his own son" as different in nature from the blood of the Ephesian elders, shed during persecution. It seems to be a reference to Jesus as Martyr, and as model of martyrdom. It certainly would be a stretch to read substitutionary atonement into this speech.
      Seems to me.
      Rev. Chuck JonesAtlanta, Georgia

      --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Dennis Goffin <dgoffin@...> wrote:

      Having surveyed every christological expression in Acts, it is clear that the Christology of Acts is very early and there is absolutely no reference to any form of atonement apart from 20:28. Is there any indication anywhere in the literature that this passage is an interpolation ? Ehrman discusses it but only to look at variants that appear later than the Alexandrian texts.

      Dennis