256Re: [Synoptic-L] Lk 1:5f

    Oct 2, 2005
      Bruce Brooks wrote:

      > ..... 2. The addition of Births material. The motive would be to extend the
      > contact point of Jesus with the higher divinity back from the Baptism (which
      > is where Mark has it) to an earlier, indeed, a prenatal stage.

      Bruce,

      Maybe. But I have a simpler explanation of the motive. Some readers of the
      first edition probably criticized the new gospel for not having birth
      stories like Matthew. The rivalry between the two influential Christian
      communities where the respective gospels were written would then have been
      enough to trigger the creation of new and better birth stories for the new
      gospel.