      From: maluflen@...
      To: jgibson000@...
      Sent: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:07 pm
      Subject: Re: [Synoptic-L] the sources of Matt 4:1-11 according to Griesbachians

      Speaking for myself, I pretty much accept the work of Birger Gerhardsson on this pericope. It is a kind of midrash on Deut 6, reflecting the life of Jesus and its major challenges, in a thoroughly Jewish perspective of the obedience son of God, Jesus being identified as the new Israel. Thoroughly compatible with Matthew's genealogy, and with the theology of Matthew as a whole (particularly the passion narrative).

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA