[Excavating-Q] Existence of Q

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2000
      Dear Prof. Kloppenborg Verbin,

      Thank you very much for agreeing to participate in this
      seminar discussion your most recent book. There is much to
      commend in it. For example, I really enjoyed your chapter 6
      as the best history of the synoptic problem I've ever read.

      I would like to ask a question about your arguments for Q's
      existence. You had previously proposed the following
      argument for Q in your "Introduction," THE SHAPE OF Q:
      Signal Essays on the Sayings Gospel (Minneapolis: Fortress
      Press, 1994) 2:

      "Evidence of design and deliberate structure serves not
      only to expose the distinctive theology of Q; it turns
      out to be relevant to a yet more basic issue, that of
      the very existence of Q. . . . For it is exceedingly
      unlike that a subset of materials mechanically
      abstracted from two Gospels would display an inherent
      genre and structure unless in fact that subset
      substantially represented a discrete and independent
      document."

      To me, this promises to be a powerful argument for Q, but
      rather than seeing this point elaborated in EXCAVATING Q as
      an affirmative argument for Q in your first chapter, it was
      barely mentioned (e.g. p. 164 at the end of the third chapter).
      Why was this argument deemphasized in your recent book?

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...

      This is the _Excavating Q_ Seminar (Oct. 23-Nov. 10 2000).