[Excavating-Q] Response to James Warren

  • J. S. Kloppenborg
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2000
      October 23, 2000

      A briefer response to James Warren.

      James Warren notes that while the 2 Document Hypothesis
      has been a standard explanatory model for years, the
      "existence" of Q has not found its way into more popular
      consciousness. Mr/Dr. Warren asks about how to introduce Q
      into biblical literacy in a non-alienating manner.

      Robert Funk once observed how ineffective New Testament
      scholars are in conveying their ideas to what (one might think)
      would be their most important audience, the church-going
      public. They have been ineffective not only when it comes to Q
      and the Synoptic Problem, but the historical Jesus, the
      nonauthenticity of the Pastoral epistles, editorial differences
      among the Gospels, the mythic nature of Gen 1-11, etc, etc.

      Funk has been an advocate of biblical literacy for years and
      has tried to promote this in the fact of American
      fundamentalism--a noble but losing battle, I should say. There
      are, however, all sorts of ordinary Christians and non
      Christians who are completely receptive to the results of
      biblical criticism, when they are presented in a responsible
      manner. There's no magic involved. It's only a matter of finding
      venues and presenting stuff in an engaging manner.

      On the other hand, I do not think it a good idea to present the
      2DH and Q as if they are the "assured results of criticism" or
      the key to understanding the gospels. They are good
      explanatory models, but not the only ones. It is more
      important, in my view, to raise biblical literacy by unpacking
      the various assumptions, methods, arguments, etc. that we all
      use and show the effectiveness of these in making sense of
      biblical data.

      This is the _Excavating Q_ Seminar (Oct. 23-Nov. 10 2000).