[Excavating-Q] Common Sayings Tradition (Dean Pielstick)

  • John Kloppenborg
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2000
      Dr. Dean Pielstick writes,

      ".I am working on a document for Westar regarding
      Crossan's Common Sayings Tradition and would like to hear
      your thoughts on CST as the (a?) source for Q (and Thomas)."

      I must confess that I don't know what this means (not because Crossan or you
      are unclear, but merely because I haven't worked though much of Crossan's
      works since The Historical Jesus). Is this the overlap between Q and Thomas,
      an overlap that then might be traced back to some common Vorlage? Are we
      talking about a written Vorlage, or a set of oral materials?

      I recall that Stephen Patterson has worked with Q/Thomas overlaps as a way
      of getting back to the Jesus of history, and Benny Viviano has proposed
      something similar for Q/Mark overlaps. Neither, as far as I know, posits a
      written source for the overlaps. Rather, the overlaps function as a form of
      multiple attestation.

      If you are speaking of some (written?) source that will help you account for
      the composition of Q and Thomas, I'd have to see details to know whether it
      would work as an explanation or not. My initial instinct is that accounting
      for the compilation of Q and Thomas from a source representing the common
      sayings would probably not work any better than, e.g., doing something
      analogous for Johnand Mark. There are too many other elements in John and
      Mark that are part of the early compositional stages of those documents that
      would not appear in the overlap sections.

      Sorry for a scattered and unhelpful response.

      best
      jskv

      This is the _Excavating Q_ Seminar (Oct. 23 -- Nov. 10 2000).