[Excavating-Q] Excavating Q

  • Ken Olson by way ofStephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2000
      Dr. Kloppenborg Verbin,

      Thank you very much for taking the time to answer our questions.

      My question has to do with the original extent of Q. In
      _Excavating Q_ you allow that Q may have contained "(a) the
      double tradition and (b) items triply attested where the degree
      of agreement against Mark is substantial and where the
      agreements are not likely to be merely coincidental" (p. 92) as
      well as some pericopae that are attested in only one gospel (p.
      95).

      In _Formation of Q_ you state that Luke "often uses a similar Q
      or L passage in place of Mark when confronted by an apparent
      overlap or redundancy. This suggests that Luke regarded Q
      *even more highly* than he did Mark" (p. 82).

      Now, given that Mark and Q overlapped, and that Luke might have
      omitted pericopes from Q, how do we know that Q did not overlap
      more extensively with the triple tradition than the cases you
      state under (b) above? If it is Luke's habit, when faced with
      an overlap or redundancy in his sources, to choose one version
      and ignore the other, how do we know that Luke *always* chose
      the Q version? You have criteria that identify *when* Luke
      chooses the Q version, but how de we know that these are not
      the minority of cases and that Luke more often preferred the
      Markan version?

      The reason I ask is that, in the traditionally defined Mark-Q
      overlap passages in Luke, there are minor agreements between
      Luke and Mark that are explained as Luke's reminiscences of
      Mark when he is primarily following Q. If Luke has
      reminiscences of one of his sources when he's primarily
      following the other, might not minor agreements between Matthew
      and Luke in the triple tradition be explained as Lucan
      reminiscences of Q when he is primarily following Mark?

      I apologize for packing four questions under this one topic.
      Thanks again,

      Ken Olson

      Kenneth A. Olson
      Teaching Assistant
      Department of History
      2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
      University of Maryland
      College Park, MD 20742
      kaolson@...

      I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything -
      T.H. Huxley
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...

      This is the _Excavating Q_ Seminar (Oct. 23 -- Nov. 10 2000).