Language question II

  • Markus
    Message 1 of 50 , Nov 13, 2007
      Next case: In German we call any motive power not chased
      by Helena ;-) a "Triebwagen". English and American publications
      mainly speak about "multiple units" and "railcars". Now I thought
      that "motor coach" would be a general translation for Triebwagen
      but it seems that this word isn't very well accepted.

      Markus, Gürbetal
    • Max Wyss
      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 16, 2007
        > But we should note that these are the first Triebzüge that
        > are designed to pull trains :-) :-) :-)

        Well, outside of light rail applications (but that's not really the
        topic here).

        > This is a new dimension!

        It is, but then, the Bernina line is also kind of unique.

        >> I at first found it a bit odd they weren't going to receive
        >> MU equipment, until I looked at the specs...
        >
        > That's a little error going round. Regarding their power
        > they don't need an ability to MU with other motive power.
        > But they will get an MU equipment to form push-pull
        > trains with driving trailers on the Arosa and Davos lines.

        I was just looking at the press releases from the RhB from last May,
        where they eplained their rolling stock replacement program. The
        units we are looking at in this thread are essentially built for the
        requirements of the Bernina line (where the 40 series motor cars are
        apparently in urgent need for replacement). That means that the
        replacement units were designed to haul the maximum allowed load on
        the Bernina line. Comparing with today's patterns, they are replacing
        a set of a 40 series and a 50 series motor car in MU. Looking at the
        specifications, these units have more tractive force than the
        Ge4/4III (which is easy to explain because of the 8 driven axles).
        And also according to the specs they can maintain that maximum
        tractive force up to approximately the speed on the Bernina line
        grades. But, compared to what they replace, they offer more passenger
        capacity, and -- even more important -- accessibility because of the
        low-floor entrance (something which is required by law).

        So, this makes these units definitely well suited for steep grades,
        and that's where they are intended to be used besides the Bernina
        line: Chur-Arosa where the current operation pattern is not really
        the very best, and Landquart - Davos expresses, where they can
        provide additional capacity.

        So, as Markus said, there is no need for MUing them; remote
        controlling, however, yes.

        Max.