Swim Faster Faster: Tip 19 Train for a Couple Compatible Events

  • Ande Rasmussen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 4:47 AM
      Swimming Faster Faster: Tip 19 Train for a Couple Compatible Events

      When you are beginning a new season, decide
      which events you're going to train for and
      which competitions you're going to compete in.

      As an example I don't think it's a good idea to train for the
      50 Free and the 1,500, They aren't compatible.
      The 50 is a sprint and the 1,500 is distance race.

      The 50 Free and 100 free are compatible, they are both sprints.
      The 100 free and 200 free are compatible.
      The 200 IM and 400 IM are compatible.
      The 500 Fr and 1,000 are compatible.

      Even though you're training for a Couple Compatible events,
      When you improve in them, you're likely to improve your other events
      as well. Even though you don't focus on them or train for them.

      This season I've been focusing on the 200 IM. I focused on the 200 IM
      for my summer 2004 season as well.
      This season I zeroed in on my biggest weakness in the IM which is the
      Breastroke leg, I've changed my stroke technique and worked on my
      kick. I've also improved my general fitness level.

      Some swimmers stick with their focus events season after season and
      others change them up. I used to only focus on sprints.
      In the summer of 2002 I focused on the 1,650.

      When you focus on a particular event, establish a time at the
      beginning of the season then work to see how much you can improve it
      at the end of the season. That season my 1,650 time went from 19:11
      in May to 17:55 in August.

      Let's say you're a 50 / 100 swimmer but the 100 is your focus event.
      It can often great help your 100 if you train for the 200 as well.
      You'll find yourself in much better shape to swim the 100.

      When you train for a Train for a Couple Compatible Events
      you're likely to swim faster faster.

      Happy Laps to you,

      Ande Rasmussen
      Austin, TX
      AndeRasmussen@...

      http://www.SwimFasterFaster.com

      http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenind.php?SwimmerID=02P06

      http://songramp.com/ande
      http://AndeRasmussen.com

      Last edited by ande on 03-28-2005 at 01:34 PM