swift in house martin nest

  • Mark Smyth
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2012

      On youtube there is a video of a swift entering a house martin nest and staying in it. When I come home I will look for the video. It is in Europe and I think either Dutch or German

      Mark

      Hi all,

      Had anybody observed a CS taking over a Sand Martin nest?

      Today I have received a reliable observation about such matter.
      The SM had not yeat returned to their nest while a pair of CS were flying close, checking it, in the recent 3 days.
      Today, just after sunset, one CS entered the nest and stayed in.

      I have asked the reporter to check again tomorrow early and to watch weather both CS enter and exit this nest.

      So,
      Had anyne observed such?

      Best,
      Amnonn

      Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
    • Mark Smyth
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2012
        Lets just think about this for a moment. A swift weighs 45g. A nest of 4 ready to fledge house martins and two adults weighs 120g, or more, yet the nests stay up for two or three broods. It could be that in very wet summers like we are having the house martin nests hold too much moisture making them weak.

        Mark

        hopefully the swifts will have moved on to investigating one of my new nest boxes instead! Brian mentioned the weight of the swifts can pull the martin nests off the wall.

        Daniele

        Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
      • dmuir2
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012
          Yesterday I watched a pair of swifts investigating a house martin nest with young birds inside! The pair of swifts hung off the nest, screaming, fell off & flew back to the nest time & time again. The house martin parents weren't happy but the swifts ignored them. Would the swifts turf the young martins out - has anyone heard of that before? A couple of days prior to this I saw a pair screaming past a different house martin nest a few times but they didn't do any banging or investigation. It could have been the same pair as the 2 nest were about 1km apart as the swift flies.
          Daniele, Perthshire, Scotland

          --- In Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Smyth" <enquiries@...> wrote:

          > On youtube there is a video of a swift entering a house martin nest and staying in it. When I come home I will look for the video. It is in Europe and I think either Dutch or German
          >
          > Mark

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Had anybody observed a CS taking over a Sand Martin nest?
          >
          > Today I have received a reliable observation about such matter.
          > The SM had not yeat returned to their nest while a pair of CS were flying close, checking it, in the recent 3 days.
          > Today, just after sunset, one CS entered the nest and stayed in.
          >
          > I have asked the reporter to check again tomorrow early and to watch weather both CS enter and exit this nest.
          >
          > So,
          > Had anyne observed such?
          >
          > Best,
          > Amnonn
          >

          > --

        • g.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2012

             WHAT IS MORE LIKELY TO HAPPEN IS THAT THE SWIFTS COULD DISLODGE THE NEST WITH THEIR EXTRA WEIGHT AS HAS HAPPENED AT MY HOUSE WHERE I HAVE ELEVEN HOUSE MARTINS NESTING NINE IN ARTIFICIAL NESTS WHICH CANT FALL AND TWO NATURAL, ONE OF WHICH FELL WITH FOUR YOUNG IN IT, I SAW THE SWIFTS CLINGING TO IT BUT WERE NOT TRYING TO DO ANYTHING ,I HAD A EXTRA ARTIFICIAL NEST AND QUICKLY PUT THE YOUNG IN IT AND FIXED IT TO THE SOFFIT THE PARENTS ARE FEEDING SINCE SATURDAY LAST SO ALL IS WELL.
            MY BROTHER HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE A FEW YEARS BACK HE QUICKLY GOT A SMALL CARDBOARD BOX POPPED THE YOUNG AND OLD NEST ONTO THE BOX AND FIXED THE BOX TO THE SOFFIT ALL WENT WELL AND THE YOUNG FLEDGED SUCCESSFULLY .UNLIKE SWIFTS HOUSE MARTINS SEEM VERY TOLERANT TO DISTURBANCE WHEN THE YOUNG ARE WELL GROWN.
            .
            BRIAN CRUMLIN

            <enquiries@...> wrote:

            > > On youtube there is a video of a swift entering a house martin nest and
            staying in it. When I come home I will look for the video. It is in Europe and I think either Dutch or German
            > > Mark > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > Hi all, > > Had anybody observed a CS taking over a Sand Martin nest? > > Today I have received a reliable observation about such matter. > The SM had not yeat returned to their nest while a pair of CS were flying
            close, checking it, in the recent 3 days.
            > Today, just after sunset, one CS entered the nest and stayed in. > > I have asked the reporter to check again tomorrow early and to watch weather
            both CS enter and exit this nest.
            > > So, > Had anyne observed such? > > Best, > Amnonn > > > > -- > I am using the free version of SPAMfighter. > We are a community of 7 million users fighting spam. > SPAMfighter has removed 16499 of my spam emails to date. > Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len > > The Professional version does not have this message >
            ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide-digest@yahoogroups.com Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Amnonn Hahn
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012

              Hi Daniel,

              We heard of such event some 2 months ago here is Israel in a town named Shoham where there are Barn Swallows nesting and House Martine as well, but in less numbers.

              Swifts took over a House Martin nest. I was not informed weather there was an actual nesting this season, but I can chick this easy.

              Amnonn, Israel

              Yesterday I watched a pair of swifts investigating a house martin nest with young birds inside! The pair of swifts hung off the nest, screaming, fell off & flew back to the nest time & time again. The house martin parents weren't happy but the swifts ignored them. Would the swifts turf the young martins out - has anyone heard of that before? A couple of days prior to this I saw a pair screaming past a different house martin nest a few times but they didn't do any banging or investigation. It could have been the same pair as the 2 nest were about 1km apart as the swift flies.
              Daniele, Perthshire , Scotland

              --- In Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com, " Mark Smyth " <enquiries@...> wrote:

              > On youtube there is a video of a swift entering a house martin nest and
              staying in it. When I come home I will look for the video. It is in Europe and I think either Dutch or German

              > Mark

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Had anybody observed a CS taking over a Sand Martin nest?
              >
              > Today I have received a reliable observation about such matter.
              > The SM had not yeat returned to their nest while a pair of CS were flying
              close, checking it, in the recent 3 days.
              > Today, just after sunset, one CS entered the nest and stayed in.
              >
              > I have asked the reporter to check again tomorrow early and to watch
              weather both CS enter and exit this nest.

              > So,
              > Had anyne observed such?
              >
              > Best,
              > Amnonn
              >

              > --

            • Mark Smyth
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 29, 2012
                I heard of a site this evening where a house martin is using a Schwegler 16. It's not nesting but roosting inside

                Mark

                Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
              • Apus apus
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
                  This could be interesting Amnonn, because I cannot imagine 3, 4 or 5 Swifts in such a small place.

                  Louis-Philippe Arnhem
                  Leuven, Belgium

                  To: Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com

                  Yesterday I watched a pair of swifts investigating a house martin nest with young birds inside! The pair of swifts hung off the nest, screaming, fell off & flew back to the nest time & time again. The house martin parents weren't happy but the swifts ignored them. Would the swifts turf the young martins out - has anyone heard of that before? A couple of days prior to this I saw a pair screaming past a different house martin nest a few times but they didn't do any banging or investigation. It could have been the same pair as the 2 nest were about 1km apart as the swift flies.
                  Daniele, Perthshire, Scotland

                  --- In Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Smyth" <enquiries@...> wrote:

                  > On youtube there is a video of a swift entering a house martin nest and staying in it. When I come home I will look for the video. It is in Europe and I think either Dutch or German
                  >
                  > Mark

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > Had anybody observed a CS taking over a Sand Martin nest?
                  >
                  > Today I have received a reliable observation about such matter.
                  > The SM had not yeat returned to their nest while a pair of CS were flying close, checking it, in the recent 3 days.
                  > Today, just after sunset, one CS entered the nest and stayed in.
                  >
                  > I have asked the reporter to check again tomorrow early and to watch weather both CS enter and exit this nest.
                  >
                  > So,
                  > Had anyne observed such?
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Amnonn
                  >

                  > --

                • Amnonn Hahn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012

                    It sure is interesting.

                    No evidence of nesting, only in and out. We'll follow next season.

                    Best,

                    Amnonn

                    To: Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com

                    Yesterday I watched a pair of swifts investigating a house martin nest with young birds inside! The pair of swifts hung off the nest, screaming, fell off & flew back to the nest time & time again. The house martin parents weren't happy but the swifts ignored them. Would the swifts turf the young martins out - has anyone heard of that before? A couple of days prior to this I saw a pair screaming past a different house martin nest a few times but they didn't do any banging or investigation. It could have been the same pair as the 2 nest were about 1km apart as the swift flies.
                    Daniele, Perthshire , Scotland

                    --- In Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com, " Mark Smyth " <enquiries@...> wrote:

                    > On youtube there is a video of a swift entering a house martin nest and
                    staying in it. Whe! n I come home I will look for the video. It is in Europe and I think either Dutch or German

                    > Mark

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > Had anybody observed a CS taking over a Sand Martin nest?
                    >
                    > Today I have received a reliable observation about such matter.
                    > The SM had not yeat returned to their nest while a pair of CS were flying
                    close, checking it, in the recent 3 days.
                    > Today, just after sunset, one CS entered the nest and stayed in.
                    >
                    > I have asked the reporter to check again tomorrow early and to watch
                    weather both CS enter and exit this nest.

                    > So,
                    > Had anyne observed such?
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > Amnonn
                    >

                    > --
                    > SPAMfighter has removed 16499 of my spam ! emails to date.
                    > Get the free SPAMfighter here:
                    target="_blank">http://www.spamfighter.com/len

                  • dmuir2
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
                      Thanks Amnonn.

                      It will be interesting to see next year if they do use the nest. I'm going to check the house martin nest in Blairgowrie again tomorrow for activity - hopefully the swifts will have moved on to investigating one of my new nest boxes instead! Brian mentioned the weight of the swifts can pull the martin nests off the wall.

                      Daniele

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 4, 2012
                        I went to look at the house martin nests today. I was sad to see two of them were on the ground, with no sign of the chicks; only one is left on the wall. Whether the prospecting swifts were instrumental in their demise, or if it was due to the heavy rain over the last few days, I don't suppose I'll know. Have house martins fledged anywhere yet?

                        --- In Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com, "dmuir2" <dmuir2@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Amnonn.
                        >
                        > It will be interesting to see next year if they do use the nest. I'm going to check the house martin nest in Blairgowrie again tomorrow for activity - hopefully the swifts will have moved on to investigating one of my new nest boxes instead! Brian mentioned the weight of the swifts can pull the martin nests off the wall.
                        >
                        > Daniele
                        >
                        > --- In Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com, "Amnonn Hahn" <hahn@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > It sure is interesting.
                        > >
                        > > No evidence of nesting, only in and out. We'll follow next season.
                        > >
                        > > Best,
                        > >
                        > > Amnonn
                        > >

                        > > _____

                      • Common Swift
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
                          Dear Amnonn, and others,
                          any news from Swifts nesting in nests of Barn Swallows, House Martins or Sand Martins?

                          Regards
                          Ulrich
                          It will be interesting to see next year if they do use the nest. I'm going to check the house martin nest in Blairgowrie again tomorrow for activity - hopefully the swifts will have moved on to investigating one of my new nest boxes instead! Brian mentioned the weight of the swifts can pull the martin nests off the wall.

                          Daniele

                          --- In Swallows-Martins-Swifts-Worldwide@yahoogroups.com, "Amnonn Hahn" <hahn@...> wrote:

                          > It sure is interesting.
                          >
                          > No evidence of nesting, only in and out. We'll follow next season.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          >
                          > Amnonn
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Dick Newell

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 21, 2013
                              Hi Dick, very nice report, thank you for letting me know.
                              What about the other suspicious nests?
                              Regards
                              Ulrich