Re: [Supremacy] Thanks for the Feedback.

  • Ian Wermerling
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hi Matt,

      Just wondering what version of word you are using. Can I recommend using
      Word 97 and NOT word Word 2000 and above. I think by using Word 97 you will
      be making it available to the widest possible audience.

      Of course if you wanted to make available to everyone (because not everyone
      has MS Word), you might want to consider HTML. This would most probably
      overcome all of your linking problems.

      As a professional "Web Application Developer" I would be more than happy in
      offering some assistant if you consider the online web solution to the
      problem.

      Ian 'wormbyte' Wermerling

      >From: "matthew_w_robertson" <matt.robertson@...>
      >To: Supremacy@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Supremacy] Thanks for the Feedback.
      >Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:55:25 -0000
      >
      >Thanks for the feedback. So quickly too.
      >
      >I agree that a walk through with new players is essential. As an Anal-
      >Retentive I really benefit from having well organized rules and
      >information. Also, once in electronic format, it is a very easy
      >manner to insert new rulings and make amendments to rules that need
      >more clarification or perhaps some minor revisions. When I have
      >completed the documents I must warn you that I have taken a few
      >liberties. Some material has been omitted and some added as I thought
      >necessary.
      >
      >I would be very interested in making this a living document if others
      >find it of value. Currently I am running into a couple of
      >opportunities using MS Word trying to link sections of the rules into
      >other sections to increase readability. I am still playing with this
      >but in the end I may duplicate some rule sections if I don't have
      >much luck with linking/embedding.
      >
      >One thing I am doing is creating a seperate document for each of the
      >stages. In that manner it is more easily seperated for various
      >members of the war cabinet if you are playing in teams. Each stage is
      >a complete and stand alone document with all the rules pertaining to
      >that stage included.
      >
      >I am also removing the QA sections in the rules and trying to add the
      >rulings directly in the section they apply. Less piecing together
      >during game play.
      >
      >Thanks again for the feedback and I will keep people posted as things
      >develop. I have most of teh stages done and I am about to tackle the
      >attack stage. It will be the biggest challenge.
      >
      >Regards,
      >Matt Robertson

    • matthew_w_robertson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
        Thanks Ian.

        I am using Word 2000 right now and for the most part Word 97 can read
        everything in a Word 2000 doc and format it ok. I have limited the
        font usage to Arial, Arial Black, & Stencil. I am also using the auto
        table of contents based on five styles of headings. This maintains
        the table of contents in a completely automated fashion.

        I have been thinking about a web version actually. Once it is
        completely electronic it becomes versatile to use it in a myriad of
        ways. I too work in the computer industry. Something we do at work is
        use MS Access & MS Frontpage. Access is quite good at organizing &
        storing content and Frontpage and Access interact well together. If
        everyone likes the way the rules are organized in th Word doc, a few
        access tables would create the shell for organizing ANY set of rules.
        How are your Access skills Ian?

        By the way, where is everyone located geographically?

        Regards,
        Matt Robertson
        Regina Saskatchewan (Canada)

      • Ian Wermerling
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi Matt,

          My Access skills are fine, although I mainly dabble with SQL Server these
          days.

          On the otherhand, if we were talking XML along with XSLT then I am your man.
          This technology is the ultimate in extensibility.

          Ian

        • Ian Wermerling
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
            Sorry, I am located in England. The county of Bedfordshire to be precise
            (about 40 miles north of London).

          • Jim Boyd
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
              Actually if you want to make it available to the most people you should use
              anything other than Word. Word is not very well circulated among those that I
              have encountered online. HTML would definitely solve the problem.

              Jim

            • Jeff Pawlowski
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
                I'm in Washington DC (metro area, not in DC proper).

                HTML is fine, but PDF if my format of choice. It is
                what I use on my Millennium's End website. It seems
                to have found the widest audience.

                =====
                Jeff Pawlowski
                Millennium's End: Officially Unofficial
                http://www.millenniumsend.com

                "I don't want to watch a movie about a guy that has trouble saying 'I love you' unless he's been shot in the face." -- Ray, Everybody Loves Raymond.

                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • Scott David Orr
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
                  At 08:32 PM 1/1/2002 -0800, Jeff Pawlowski wrote:
                  >I'm in Washington DC (metro area, not in DC proper).
                  >
                  >HTML is fine, but PDF if my format of choice. It is
                  >what I use on my Millennium's End website. It seems
                  >to have found the widest audience.

                  PDF is good for saving documents, especially scanned ones or those with
                  illustrations (it's absolutely great for e-publishing, for instance), but
                  it's a bit unwieldly to page through, and it takes awhile to download. One
                  nice thing about HTML is that it's easy to read with a web browser either
                  online or offlien.

                  If we're talking about universal formats, I notice no one has mentioned
                  Rich Text Format--unless you're doing something fancy, that will let you do
                  pretty much all you have to do, and any word processor will read it, plus
                  it's compact. You can't read it online the way you can HTML, though.

                  Scott Orr