Anyone there?

  • Jim Boyd
    Message 1 of 19 , May 7, 2001
      This list seems to be rather dead. I joined last month and there have
      only been three posts. all Welcomes.

      Do we discuss things here?

      Like variants?

      Government types?

      Extra pieces?

      Jim
    • Cory White
      Message 2 of 19 , May 7, 2001
        you know, I was thinking the same thing (the group being dead that is....)

        Message 3 of 19 , May 7, 2001
          I totally agree...

          This did once have some lively discussions. Please do let this quiet period
          put you off though, there are members here with vast experience like Scott)
          on the rules which could be of use to you someday.

          Ian 'wormbyte' Wermerling

          >From: Scott David Orr <sdorr@...>
          >To: Supremacy@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [Supremacy] Anyone there?
          >Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 18:04:36 -0400
          >
          >At 10:53 AM 5/7/01 -0400, Cory White wrote:
          > >you know, I was thinking the same thing (the group being dead that
          >is....)
          >It goes in bursts--if you want to start a new burst, talk about something.
          >:)
          >
          >Scott Orr

        • Scott David Orr
          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2001

          • Treldonis@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 19 , May 8, 2001
              Ian is right. We do have bursts of conversation on interesting
              topics. The previous discussion touched upon the economic side of
              the game and whether or not it required improvement.

              What do you think of the economic side to the game?

              Max
            • Jim Boyd
              Message 6 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                The economics side of the game is structured fine when you add in the
                additional units that can be purchased as we have added in our rules
                set. In our rules set we now have the following to purchase and
                research for:

                Land:
                Infantry
                Infantry Fighting Vehicle
                Air combat Vehicle
                Attack Helicopter
                Main battle Tank

                Sea:
                Merchant ship
                Transport
                Assault ship
                Destroyer
                Cruiser
                Aircraft Carrier
                Attack Sub
                Boomer

                Air:
                Fighter
                Tactical Bomber
                Stealth Bomber (With Stealth Technology)
                Strategic bomber
                AA unit

                We also require Rocket Technology to get things into space and to be
                able to improve your Air Technology.

                We have added rules that make the Warlords and Pirates function more
                actively without the need of a player playing them.

                The core rules of Supremacy we still have, but it would be quite a
                culture shock for someone that has only played the basic game of
                Supremacy to sit in at our table.

                Jim

                Treldonis@... wrote:

                > Ian is right. We do have bursts of conversation on interesting
                > topics. The previous discussion touched upon the economic side of
                > the game and whether or not it required improvement.
                >
                > What do you think of the economic side to the game?
                >
                > Max

              • Ian Wermerling
                Message 7 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                  It sounds that you have thought a great deal about how to expand upon the
                  basic game, good for you mate.

                  Is there any chance you could share these variant rules of yours so the
                  whole community to could give them a go.

                  There is an area within the community for such postings, I for one would be
                  very interested in trying them.

                  Ian 'wormbyte' Wermerling

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                    Are you still working on the Game?

                  • Ian Wermerling
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                      Hi Mold,

                      Still at it, although time is a rare resource at the moment. My wife has
                      just given birth to a baby girl and work commitments have had me working too
                      many hours.

                      It is something very much on my mind and I will be trying to dedicate more
                      time to over the next few weeks.

                      For those who have not got a glue what we a talking about then you should
                      know that the game in question is Supremacy 2K. Find out more at
                      http://www.wormbyte.co.uk/s2k

                      Ian 'wormbyte' Wermerling

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                        In a message dated 5/9/2001 2:49:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        wormbyte@... writes:

                        > My wife has
                        > just given birth to a baby girl and work commitments have had me working
                        > too
                        > many hours.
                        >
                        > It is something very much on my mind and I will be trying to dedicate more
                        > time to over the next few weeks.

                        Sounds like my life. My son is due on July 4th, and my wife is ready for
                        this pregnancy to be over with :)

                        Work sucks, work looks like it will be better soon, however :)

                        Jeff

                      • Ferguson
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                          Congradulations Ian on the new arrival
                          David Ferguson
                          Located in the Interior of BC Canada
                          mailto:mold@...
                          http://www3.telus.net/mold
                          Hang "N" there

                        • Cory White
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                            I know how that is, my wife is expecting our first the end of this
                            month...... now I know why most of my family say to move out for the last
                            month.....

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                              At 08:50 AM 5/9/01 -0400, Jim Boyd wrote:
                              >The economics side of the game is structured fine when you add in the
                              >additional units that can be purchased as we have added in our rules
                              >set. In our rules set we now have the following to purchase and
                              >research for:
                              I do think it's important to add all or most of the strategic units in
                              order to suck up money; I'm not sure I'd really want a profusion of land
                              units (though it depends partly on how much time you have to play--but I'm
                              a little bothered by worrying about vehicle types when my units are
                              supposed to be armies).

                              One thing I'd suggest rather strongly is either not allowing stuff to be
                              sold to neutrals--ESPECIALLY high-tech--or making up new rules for it. The
                              neutrals are an inexhaustible money tree, and the profits for what youc an
                              sell to them are ridiculous.

                              Another caution is that if you use high-tech edge, you need to use both
                              strategic and conventional--otherwise it's too easy to buy the best
                              technology in _everything_, which will let a few people get ahead in all
                              areas, with there being no way of catching them later. Also, I have
                              reservations about transferring technology to industry--it pretty much
                              gives you an effectively unlimited supply of resources.

                              Scott Orr
                            • Scott David Orr
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                                At 06:30 PM 5/9/01 +0000, Ian Wermerling wrote:
                                >Hi Mold,
                                >
                                >Still at it, although time is a rare resource at the moment. My wife has
                                >just given birth to a baby girl and work commitments have had me working too
                                >many hours.
                                Well, congratulations anyway. :)

                                Scott Orr
                              • Jim Boyd
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                                  You have hit on all of the play balance points that we have encountered
                                  over the past 10 years we have been playing with them and accounted for
                                  in the rules as we use them now.

                                  Most recently...(3 years ago)..we added government types that add a
                                  great flavor to the strategies.

                                  The game we have is not a "Let's sit down this afternoon and play a game
                                  of Supremacy". I never felt Supremacy was fun that way even as a basic
                                  game.

                                  This is a game that requires a place to leave it setup and 4-5 settings
                                  to reach a reasonable conclusion that we can tournament score things for
                                  a victor.

                                  The thing that I strove to remove from the game was the weakness that
                                  the basic game had of the "It's almost the last turn so I'll sell all my
                                  resources and win the game on cash" syndrome.

                                  I posted earlier that our Warlords now function more like independent
                                  players than the cash cow that they are in the supplement as printed.
                                  Selling too much to a Warlord or pirate has repricussions now. They get
                                  too big and too well supplied they will start to feel that they can take
                                  on their neighbors. This has also added the strategy of supplying arms
                                  to help fight the wars in these Third World countries and the
                                  Superpowers juggle for favorable control of them and how they may be
                                  attacking their neighbor which is a neutral of another player.

                                  I will also state that I have played this game with all expansions for
                                  since all expansions have been available and have never played a game of
                                  it without them. IT is just not an enjoyable game to me without all of
                                  the expansions so all High-Tech Edge is in play.

                                  Jim

                                  Scott David Orr wrote:

                                  > I do think it's important to add all or most of the strategic units in
                                  >
                                  > order to suck up money; I'm not sure I'd really want a profusion of
                                  > land
                                  > units (though it depends partly on how much time you have to play--but
                                  > I'm
                                  > a little bothered by worrying about vehicle types when my units are
                                  > supposed to be armies).
                                  >
                                  > One thing I'd suggest rather strongly is either not allowing stuff to
                                  > be
                                  > sold to neutrals--ESPECIALLY high-tech--or making up new rules for
                                  > it. The
                                  > neutrals are an inexhaustible money tree, and the profits for what
                                  > youc an
                                  > sell to them are ridiculous.
                                  >
                                  > Another caution is that if you use high-tech edge, you need to use
                                  > both
                                  > strategic and conventional--otherwise it's too easy to buy the best
                                  > technology in _everything_, which will let a few people get ahead in
                                  > all
                                  > areas, with there being no way of catching them later. Also, I have
                                  > reservations about transferring technology to industry--it pretty much
                                  >
                                  > gives you an effectively unlimited supply of resources.
                                  >
                                  > Scott Orr

                                • Michael Price
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                                    Jim,
                                    Do you think you could post these rules for us to share? It would be
                                    great to see how you've created the balance that we all want from the
                                    game.
                                    Mike

                                    Scott David Orr wrote:

                                    > I do think it's important to add all or most of the strategic units in
                                    >
                                    > order to suck up money; I'm not sure I'd really want a profusion of
                                    > land
                                    > units (though it depends partly on how much time you have to play--but
                                    > I'm
                                    > a little bothered by worrying about vehicle types when my units are
                                    > supposed to be armies).
                                    >
                                    > One thing I'd suggest rather strongly is either not allowing stuff to
                                    > be
                                    > sold to neutrals--ESPECIALLY high-tech--or making up new rules for
                                    > it.  The
                                    > neutrals are an inexhaustible money tree, and the profits for what
                                    > youc an
                                    > sell to them are ridiculous.
                                    >
                                    > Another caution is that if you use high-tech edge, you need to use
                                    > both
                                    > strategic and conventional--otherwise it's too easy to buy the best
                                    > technology in _everything_, which will let a few people get ahead in
                                    > all
                                    > areas, with there being no way of catching them later.  Also, I have
                                    > reservations about transferring technology to industry--it pretty much
                                    >
                                    > gives you an effectively unlimited supply of resources.
                                    >
                                    > Scott Orr

                                  • Jim Boyd
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 9, 2001
                                      I certainly will. It will take some time to get them typed into a
                                      format that I can uplaod for you all, but I will certainly do that.

                                      Jim

                                      Michael Price wrote:

                                      > Jim,
                                      > Do you think you could post these rules for us to share? It would be
                                      > great to see how you've created the balance that we all want from the
                                      > game.
                                      > Mike

                                    • Ian Wermerling
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 10, 2001
                                        Cheers Jim, I look forward to seeing them.

                                        Cory and Jeff, I wish you the very best with your up and coming births.

                                        Ian

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 10, 2001
                                          Hey!
                                          Wow! You know for a bunch a folks who have no problem "conquering" the
                                          World, you all seem awful squemish about the brith of your children. I know
                                          it's not the same...
                                          Anyway, congrats to all. My 1 yr old loves looking at the big map and trying
                                          to see how many Tanks will fit into her mouth before Dad sees her.

                                          Keith
                                          Keschra@...