Defcon - A 80s style game of nuclear war

  • Benjamin Hinnum
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2007
      I just found out about this game and thought I would share it with you
      all. It is like straight out of the movie Wargames!

      Apparently it has been available as a download only for a year but is
      now sold on CDROM as well.

      http://pc.ign.com/articles/740/740863p1.html

      From the IGN review: "Any gamer old enough to remember it has a soft
      spot for the movie WarGames. The story of a hacker who accidentally
      challenges a military defense computer to a game of global
      thermonuclear war resonated with an entire generation of gamers. One
      of the most memorable sequences in the movie was when the computer
      played out a variety of scenarios for the war, finally discovering the
      inherent paradox in the doctrine of mutually assured destruction --
      that the only winning move was not to play at all.

      Introversion's latest game, DEFCON, immediately conjures up the images
      and atmosphere of the simulation used in the movie. The countries and
      continents are shown in simple blue outline. Each country has a number
      of nuclear assets it can use -- missiles, submarines, bombers -- and a
      handful of defensive measures to protect it from harm. Plane and ship
      movement is tracked on the large map as are the graceful arcs of the
      missiles that are sure to be flying through the skies once the battle
      is joined."

      You can read more at the link above.
    • oninoted@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2007
        Also available through Steam if you're so inclined :)

        Game kicks ass, BTW