Supremacy Online Game code Released

  • aka_tom_w
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
      Does everyone here know that Paul has posted his game code?

      "A couple of people have volunteered to help with the some work on the front end,
      so for those of you that are interested the source code can be found here:"

      http://81.109.122.133/suprem.zip

      There you have it?

      Is anyone working on it or with it?

      I have NO idea what to do with it but I am
      hopeing some of you "keeners" will make
      the online game even better.

      WHAT is better?

      Well these are a few thoughts:

      If asked what does the game need:
      these would be my opinions :-)

      The game needs 2 or 3 or 4 things (I suppose)

      I think it needs the oceans to "work"
      so that the deep blue seas are shared by
      more than one player's navies and
      NEVER owned by one super power's SINLGE boat.
      (I have NO idea how you would do this but
      for now the dark blue seas are treated like
      like blue coastal areas meaning they change colour
      and are OWNED by one navy from one nation
      the game should NOT work that way)

      I have also asked for the six cube blind bid drop on phase
      selection so I can bid with ALL six "chits" or cubes to go in
      sell so I can go first and then NOT go in any other phase
      (do you recall? it was from the FMHB the Six Cube Blind Bid Drop?)
      Yes I recall, I've played 2 times with it, and liked it. It makes you think ...

      hum... deeper at this phase.. If you have six cubes, can you take all phases (6) ?

      NO
      only a 3 phase max (ever) but you can do LESS than 3 phases
      meaning 1 or 2 phase if you bid all 6 in one phase
      or bid 5 in one phase and 1 to Build for instance
      where turn order is not relevant.

      AND

      Armies should be able to be left at sea (like Marines)
      on ships in Light blue or Dark blue seas
      that means there should be some form of
      escort/intercept rule
      the simplest rule would be to say the NON-troop
      carrying escorts/(regular navies) are ALWAYS attacked first
      and if there are attacking navies left AFTER all
      the escorts are destroyed they can attack the
      troop carrying ship (this is SIMPLE and straight forward)
      (this could get EVEN more complicated with Boomers)

      again I have NO idea how to code that either

      And I know Paul is keen to introduce Boomers to the game

      NOW to be honest I have never been comfortable
      with the Boomer rules (in fact I think the Boomer
      rules Stink!) BUT the game as it is online is
      well balanced and works WELL now because of some
      "local house rules and Tech related adaptations, so I think
      it is completely "doable" to edit/create/invent some
      new rules work around for boomers to make them something
      LESS than the SINLGE most powerful and MOST
      unstoppable unit in the game, I am not sure how
      but the original Boomer rules as written "blew up" the game
      for me! (One idea my group really like was that it took
      ONE turn to build one in a "dry dock" in a specific port
      and if other players could NUKE or attack that territory
      with the port city they could DESTROY the boat
      before its construction was completed, this means a
      Boomer Build would take ONE complete turn FROM
      build phase to NEXT build phase where it would sit in
      dry dock waiting to be "blowed up" ! he he)

      I can see why there are NO boomers in the online
      game because the original rules were vague
      and unplayable IMHO (due to hidden movement and questions
      about visible/invisible surfaced/submerged for question
      that are SURE ARISE around blockades and light
      blue ocean Ownership as the original rules
      state Boomers and opposing navies can SHARE
      Light blue seas! So how do Blockades work?
      How do Boomers Escort Troop laden (African or European ;-)
      Navies in transit?

      Boomers would be "cool" if they work and they are
      FUN and they are not so CRAZY powerful that they
      destabilize the online game. One Boomer can ruin your
      whole day you know!

      AND of course I would like to see the Mega map
      used as a choice so you could play online ON
      either the Old original map or the Mega map

      But thats just me

      Maybe there could be a online "beta Discussion Forum"

      just a few ideas

      thanks

      -tom w
    • Colin McGuigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
        aka_tom_w wrote:
        > Does everyone here know that Paul has posted his game code?
        >
        > "A couple of people have volunteered to help with the some work on the front end,
        > so for those of you that are interested the source code can be found here:"
        >
        > http://81.109.122.133/suprem.zip

        404 - File Not Found

        --Colin McGuigan
      • p_d_thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9, 2004
          --- In Supremacy@yahoogroups.com, Colin McGuigan <magua@s...> wrote:
          > aka_tom_w wrote:
          > > Does everyone here know that Paul has posted his game code?
          > >
          > > "A couple of people have volunteered to help with the some work on
          the front end, > > so for those of you that are interested the source
          code can be found here:" > >
          > > http://81.109.122.133/suprem.zip
          >
          > 404 - File Not Found
          >
          > --Colin McGuigan

          Just email me at suprem@ntlworld with your 21.180 Commander username if
          you want to join the developers group :)

          Paul.
        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2005
            --- In Supremacy@yahoogroups.com, "aka_tom_w" <tcw@m...> wrote:
            > Does everyone here know that Paul has posted his game code?
            >
            > "A couple of people have volunteered to help with the some work on
            the front end,
            > so for those of you that are interested the source code can be
            found here:"

            > http://81.109.122.133/suprem.zip
            >

            > There you have it?

            That link is 404. Perhaps you could upload the file to the file area
            of this group.

            Thx!