Re: [Supremacy] Some Help?

  • Tim Jung
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8, 2003
      I wouldn't say that it always produces nuclear war. In most of the games I
      have played it does not end in nuclear winter since most of the people I
      have played with consider that a lost game for everyone.

      Tim Jung
      System Admin
      Internet Gateway
      tjung@...

      Message 2 of 14 , May 8, 2003
        At 12:38 PM 5/8/03 -0500, Tim Jung wrote:
        >I wouldn't say that it always produces nuclear war. In most of the games I
        >have played it does not end in nuclear winter since most of the people I
        >have played with consider that a lost game for everyone.

        It's quite easy to have nuclear war in Supremacy without nuclear winter.

        Scott Orr
      • waitingforbob
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2003
          > > I currently use a modified version of Diplomacy (by Avalon Hill) to
          > > teach pre-WWI/WWI and the kids love it. I'd like to add another game
          > > for comtemporary world affairs.

          > My wife and I are trying to meld three different games together.
          United Nations, SuperPower, and
          > Supremacy, should be an interesting combined game if it could be
          created. More details if I can
          > ever get to it. It would allow the entire class to participate in
          the same game by playing
          > various groups in the UN on a global map pushing military and
          economic factors around.

          What you folks want is the National Security Decision Making Game.
          Here ya go-

          http://www.nsdmg.org/
        • waitingforbob
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2003

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2003
              > > I currently use a modified version of Diplomacy (by Avalon Hill) to
              > > teach pre-WWI/WWI and the kids love it. I'd like to add another game
              > > for comtemporary world affairs.

              > My wife and I are trying to meld three different games together.
              United Nations, SuperPower, and
              > Supremacy, should be an interesting combined game if it could be
              created. More details if I can
              > ever get to it. It would allow the entire class to participate in
              the same game by playing
              > various groups in the UN on a global map pushing military and
              economic factors around.

              What you folks want is the National Security Decision Making Game.
              Here ya go-

              http://www.nsdmg.org/
            • Scott David Orr
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 26, 2003
                At 07:28 PM 6/26/03 +0000, waitingforbob wrote:

                > > > I currently use a modified version of Diplomacy (by Avalon Hill) to
                > > > teach pre-WWI/WWI and the kids love it. I'd like to add another game
                > > > for comtemporary world affairs.
                >
                > > My wife and I are trying to meld three different games together.
                >United Nations, SuperPower, and
                > > Supremacy, should be an interesting combined game if it could be
                >created. More details if I can
                > > ever get to it. It would allow the entire class to participate in
                >the same game by playing
                > > various groups in the UN on a global map pushing military and
                >economic factors around.
                >

                >What you folks want is the National Security Decision Making Game.
                >Here ya go-
                >
                >http://www.nsdmg.org/

                That's more a short-term crisis-management game, isn't it? It sounds like
                the prior poster is looking for more of a long-term simulation.

                Scott Orr
              • waitingforbob
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 27, 2003
                  Hill) to
                  > >What you folks want is the National Security Decision Making Game.
                  > >Here ya go-
                  > >
                  > >http://www.nsdmg.org/
                  > >

                  > That's more a short-term crisis-management game, isn't it? It
                  sounds like
                  > the prior poster is looking for more of a long-term simulation.
                  >
                  > Scott Orr

                  Certainly the way it is played it is oriented to crisis management.
                  That may be good enough for a day or two in class as an entree to the
                  complexity of the modern environment.

                  If the object is as you suggest long-term strategic goals, overlaying
                  NSDM RPG player-driven politics onto Supremacy or some other simple
                  resolution system would be a good solution.