1089Comic Book Legends Revealed #460

  • supermutant2099
    Feb 28, 2014
      by Brian Cronin | February 28, 2014 @ 9:34 AM | 55 Comments |
      1 2 3

      COMIC LEGEND: John Byrne poked a little fun at Rob Liefeld’s art style and his swipes in an issue of She-Hulk

      STATUS: True

      I came across this note recently from over six years ago. Someone suggested this topic and I cannot find out who, just a note to myself to feature it some day. Today is that day! So if you suggested this one to me back in 2008, drop me a line to take credit!

      Sensational She-Hulk #43 by John Byrne in 1992 opened peculiarly…

      Out comes John Byrne’s editor, Renee Witterstaetter, to yell at him…

      And then Byrne “re-drew” the first two pages in his own style…

      As you might have guessed it, Byrne was parodying the art style of superstar comic book artist Rob Liefeld. However, that’s not ALL Byrne was doing there. Liefeld, you see, at the time had gotten somewhat of a reputation as a bit of a swiper.

      For instance, here’s Liefeld’s X-Force #1…

      And here’s George Perez years earlier in New Teen Titans #39…

      So not only was Byrne parodying Liefeld’s STYLE, but it was also done specifically as a SWIPE of Liefeld, specifically 1991′s X-Force #3. Check it out…

      Talk about putting in the effort and committing to a bit!

      Okay, that’s it for this week!

      Thanks to the Grand Comics Database for this week’s covers! And thanks to Brandon Hanvey for the Comic Book Legends Revealed logo!

      Feel free (heck, I implore you!) to write in with your suggestions for future installments! My e-mail address is cronb01@.... And my Twitter feed is http://twitter.com/brian_cronin, so you can ask me legends there, as well!

      Here’s my newest book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? The cover is by Kevin Hopgood (the fellow who designed War Machine’s armor).

      If you want to order a copy, ordering it here gives me a referral fee.

      Follow Comics Should Be Good on Twitter and on Facebook (also, feel free to share Comic Book Legends Revealed on our Facebook page!). Not only will you get updates when new blog posts show up on both Twitter and Facebook, but you’ll get original content from me, as well!

      Also, be sure to check out my website, Urban Legends Revealed, where I look into urban legends about the worlds of entertainment and sports, which you can find here, at urbanlegendsrevealed.com.

      Here’s my book of Comic Book Legends (130 legends – half of them are re-worked classic legends I’ve featured on the blog and half of them are legends never published on the blog!).

      The cover is by artist Mickey Duzyj. He did a great job on it…(click to enlarge)…

      If you’d like to order it, you can use the following code if you’d like to send me a bit of a referral fee…

      Was Superman a Spy?: And Other Comic Book Legends Revealed

      See you all next week!