Re: [SC] OT: MS Smart Tags

  • Adam C. Bell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      And a hidden layer (HTML 4) too.

      ACB

      > >Of course, the downside of that (which works equally well for GIF
      >>text), is that search engines cannot read it either.
      >>
      >>Adam Bell
      >>

      >No Adam, you can set an swf up with search tags.
      >
      >/w
      >
      >Wayne Townsend
      >Founder, AccessOn
      >
      >Visit: http://www.PalmSpringsBingo.com
      >waynet@...
      >Alt: waynet@...
      >http://www.accesson.net
      >
      >Studio: Palm Springs, CA
      >760.228.2301
      >
      >To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to:

    • keith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
        Adam observed:
        > >Of course, the downside of that (which works equally well for GIF
        > >text), is that search engines cannot read it either.

        To which Wayne Townsend pointed out:
        >No Adam, you can set an swf up with search tags.

        Hmph. More work though. More importantly for me, you can't select and
        drag-drop/copy-paste Flash text. Not unless it is an editable text
        field, in which case we might as well go back to HTML 1.0! :-)

        Flash is jaw-droppingly stunning for lots of stuff, but it ain't snake oil! ;-)

        Anyway, from the latest news it appears that Beelzebub inc. - sorry,
        Microsoft - has made an embarrassing climbdown on this front; it will
        not, so reports say, now be implemented in either IE 6 or in Windows
        XP. You can read the MacUser news story on this at
        <http://www.macuser.co.uk/guest/php3/openframe.php3?page=/newnews/newsarticle.php3?id=1179>

        And for those too impatient to click and wait a few seconds, here's
        how the article starts:

        "Neither Windows XP nor the accompanying Internet Explorer 6
        will carry the much derided Smart Tags when they are launched
        in the autumn.

        "The details behind this decision have yet to emerge, but a
        Microsoft UK spokesperson has confirmed that Windows XP and
        Internet Explorer 6 would not contain the Smart Tags feature
        when they are launched, 25 October. More official information
        will be forthcoming this afternoon, we have been promised.

        "Microsoft will have thought long and hard before making what
        will be regarded as an embarrassing climb down. After all, the
        company has been busy extolling the functionality of these
        programmable tags for its recently released Office XP suite.

        "It seems pressure from American state bodies, and from within
        the industry itself, may have put Microsoft temporarily on the
        back foot. Critics are alleging that Microsoft has learnt
        nothing from its recent anti-trust case and was again using
        its monopoly-like position to control the behaviour of browsers."

        Phew.

        +++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Keith Martin Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
        http://www.macuser.co.uk/
        MacUser Help mailto:help@...
        work mailto:tech_ed@...
        personal > mailto:keith@...
        static www.vortex.co.uk
        Mac-driven > http://www.vortex.uk.com/
        direct (work) +44 (0)20 7907 6360
        mobile 0790 954 1365
      • Wayne Townsend
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001

          >More importantly for me, you can't select and
          >drag-drop/copy-paste Flash text. Not unless it is an editable text
          >field, in which case we might as well go back to HTML 1.0! :-)

          God forbid! :)

          But you make a good point, Keith.

          At any rate, it would seem to me that it is the responsibility of the
          web designer to put certain text that the audience may wish to copy
          into editable flash text fields, doesn't it? That's just good web
          design.

          And yes, the Flash/Flame combo is the greatest thing since sliced
          bread, so there! :)

          This latest MS world domination scheme (not to worry, there will be
          others) is just another example of why web designers should dump html
          for it. No one, no not one SC developer that I know of who has taken
          this advice has regretted their decision. Guys, you can chime in
          here anytime. ;)

          And Keith, don't you think Web Apps built with this Flash/Flame
          technology deserve a new story in your mag? So many developers would
          be empowered if they only knew. If they only knew. I'm happy to
          provide content and technique tips.

          Here's a toast to you and hoping,

          Thanks for the link to that article,
          http://www.macuser.co.uk/guest/php3/openframe.php3?page=/newnews/newsa
          rticle.php3?id=1179

          And say "howdy & wazzup!" to Jon for me when you see him,