Re: [SunnyvaleCafe] Recommendations for rat exterminator?

  • Chuck Nolan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
      G'Day All,

      I had a survival job working for Terminix as a licensed pest inspector.  The only trick to catching rats in a trap is to prevent them from being able to bump the trap, which allows them to trigger the trap without being caught and then they eat the bait.

      Snap traps are the most effective and humane way of killing these disease spreading creatures.  I strongly suggest wearing gloves.  Once a rat is caught, just pickup the trap and rat and put it in the garbage.  It is not worth risking disease to try and save the trap.

      Rat traps are bigger than mouse traps, but tend to work the same.

      If you find an injured rat that is not dead, the zoologist said that the most most humane way of killing them is to drop the rat and trap into a bucket of water.  They drown rather quickly.

      Some people just hit the injured rat with a solid object, but this tends to spread blood around, which I find both disgusting and less safe.

      I used to screw the trap to a larger board to prevent the smart rats from triggering the trap and stealing the bait.  Peanut butter was the most effective bait.

      If these were not creatures that spread disease, I would just leave them alone.

      Regards,
      Chuck

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013

        Here are two to try.  I used Bugmaster about five years ago and as I remember they the ones who did the job correctly (ants).

        Bugmaster Pest Control

        5030 Yucatan Way
        San Jose, CA 95118

        (408) 269-5666

        Bay Valley was recommended to me by the only termite inspector that I believe is honest.  I don’t think that I use them.

        Bay Valley Pest Control

        If you try any of these, report back with a recommendation if you can.

        Wayne