Re: [SunnyvaleCafe] Recommendations for rat exterminator?

  • Jeremy Hubble
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
      You can start with Santa Clara County Vector Control. They can provide general information on controlling the rodents.  They are free, but they don't do any of the repairs. This may be the best bet if you are just concerned.

      We had used Critter Control (mainly because they were the people our neighbors used.) Their basic process was to identify problems and set some traps. Then they come back later to pick up any rats and make the repairs. They charge for the rapairs and for rats caught initially. (And then provide a guarantee of no rats for a year.)

      Jeremy

      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Kathy Lunde <kathylunde@...> wrote:
      My next door neighbors just discovered rats in their attic and
      contacted a contractor whose name they found in a home service repair
      guide distributed in the mail ("Santa Clara County Verified Home
      Services, San Jose and Surrounding Areas 2013"). This guide does not
      offer many referrals (and might be paid for by the businesses listed).
      I may share the rat problem, since we have shared walls.

      Does anyone know of a good and reasonable rat exterminator service?
      The one in the guide above (Bay Area Rodent Solutions) quoted a $250
      discounted price for the inspection only, to be applied to the cost of
      extermination and repair (presumably of holes, if found).

      Thanks,
      Kathy

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          SunnyvaleCafe-digest@yahoogroups.com
          SunnyvaleCafe-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Chuck Nolan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
        G'Day All,

        I had a survival job working for Terminix as a licensed pest inspector.  The only trick to catching rats in a trap is to prevent them from being able to bump the trap, which allows them to trigger the trap without being caught and then they eat the bait.

        Snap traps are the most effective and humane way of killing these disease spreading creatures.  I strongly suggest wearing gloves.  Once a rat is caught, just pickup the trap and rat and put it in the garbage.  It is not worth risking disease to try and save the trap.

        Rat traps are bigger than mouse traps, but tend to work the same.

        If you find an injured rat that is not dead, the zoologist said that the most most humane way of killing them is to drop the rat and trap into a bucket of water.  They drown rather quickly.

        Some people just hit the injured rat with a solid object, but this tends to spread blood around, which I find both disgusting and less safe.

        I used to screw the trap to a larger board to prevent the smart rats from triggering the trap and stealing the bait.  Peanut butter was the most effective bait.

        If these were not creatures that spread disease, I would just leave them alone.

        Regards,
        Chuck

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013

          Here are two to try.  I used Bugmaster about five years ago and as I remember they the ones who did the job correctly (ants).

          Bugmaster Pest Control

          5030 Yucatan Way
          San Jose, CA 95118

          (408) 269-5666

          Bay Valley was recommended to me by the only termite inspector that I believe is honest.  I don’t think that I use them.

          Bay Valley Pest Control

          If you try any of these, report back with a recommendation if you can.

          Wayne