New Member Greetings: Jeff Denault

  • Douglas Henderson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18 8:08 AM
      Welcome to our newest member.

      I am somewhat curious though, I know very little about Pokemon
      strategy. Is your interest in it seperate from your interest in Sun
      Tzu or is it a good demonstration of Sun Tzu principles?

      I would imagine though that Sun Pin's (Sun Bin's) horse race strategy
      might apply. He advised the rule to pit his best horse against his
      opponent's second best, his second best against the other's third best
      and his worst against the other's best, and in that way won 2 out of
      three races. Is it a similar strategy or is the above too simplistic
      for those purposes?

      Personally, I believe that Sun Tzu can be applied almost anywhere.

      Regards

      Douglas Henderson
      Moderator
    • Jeff Denault
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18 8:29 AM
        Thank you for the warm welcome.

        I'm a graduate student in management, and undergraduate
        in East Asian Studies. My interest in Sun Tzu originate
        from the multiple courses I took in philosophy, and a
        course I took in Strategic & Military Politics. My final
        paper was on Sun Tzu's influence on foreign policy in
        modern day China.

        Still today, I find his work most fascinating.

        I also believe that Sun Tzu can be applied anywhere (a case
        can be done for Sun Tzu's principle in the business world).

        But I believe my Pokemon experience is too limited to
        comment upon it... can I ask what lead you to believe that
        my interests where of Pokemon?

        Regards,

        JF

        Message 3 of 3 , May 18 9:36 AM
          --- In Sun_Tzu@y..., "Jeff Denault" <jeff.denault@u...> wrote:
          > Thank you for the warm welcome.
          >
          > I'm a graduate student in management, and undergraduate
          > in East Asian Studies. My interest in Sun Tzu originate
          > from the multiple courses I took in philosophy, and a
          > course I took in Strategic & Military Politics. My final
          > paper was on Sun Tzu's influence on foreign policy in
          > modern day China.
          >
          > Still today, I find his work most fascinating.
          >
          > I also believe that Sun Tzu can be applied anywhere (a case
          > can be done for Sun Tzu's principle in the business world).
          >
          > But I believe my Pokemon experience is too limited to
          > comment upon it... can I ask what lead you to believe that
          > my interests where of Pokemon?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > JF

          A quick net search, working on the principle of knowing oneself,
          turned up some references <grin>. If I mistook because of another
          person with the same name or similar, my apologies, but it piqued my
          curiousity because I've wondered how to apply Sunzi to game theory. I
          don't know that Sunzi applies to chess so well, but certainly to Go
          IMO.

          Regards

          Doug

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/