Total War

  • dej2_
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
      Gus,
      Have you played Medieval II Total War? How about publishing a book on
      winning Total War type of tactical games?

      --- In Sun_Tzu@yahoogroups.com, gus videos <gusvideos@...> wrote:

      > I haven't played this game. I have heard a lot of great reviews
      about Rome Total War though.
    • gus videos
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
        I haven't played the game, though I have heard good things about it.  If I had unlimited time, it would definitely be one of the games that I would play.

        This is my second book.  I didn't even try to publish my first book, Introduction in The Art of Gamefare: Defeating your Opponent in Half-Life's Counter-Strike.  By the time I was done, it was too late to try to market my book.  To avoid that mistake, my current book, The Art of Gamefare: Defeat your Opponent in Multiplayer Video Games, lists rules that apply to all games.  Even though there are so many different types of games, games that use different rules, weapons, vehicles, and character classes, they still have much in common.  I talk about attrition strategies, respawns, remote weapon, stealth, health and armor, and much more.

        The book is currently being edited for content.  My editor noticed that the book is slanted towards the first-person shooters and strategy games, which works for me.

        I was reminded today why I wrote the book.  I was playing Battlefield 2142 and I was getting creamed.  The problem was that I was getting creamed by my own team!  Friendly Fire was enabled, and my trigger happy teammates figured it wasn't important to identify their targets before shooting.  Friendly fire it ain't!  I could barely get myself to the battlefield thanks to my over eager teammates.  Either they were running me over, shooting me, dropping unto me, dropping artilery on me, or not reviving me.  I was getting really frustrated.

        Hey Darren, what games are you playing now?  Supreme Commander?  Do you play any first-person shooter strategy games?

        dej2_ <dej2_@...> wrote:
        Gus,
        Have you played Medieval II Total War? How about publishing a book on
        winning Total War type of tactical games?
        .

        Gus Maximus
        The Art of Gamefare, The art of winning at multiplayer video games
        Do you know Digital Kung-Fu?
        http://www.TheArtofGamefare.com
        gus@...

        Never miss an email again!
        Yahoo! Toolbar

      • dej2_
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007

          > I haven't played the game, though I have heard good things about it. If I had unlimited time, it would definitely be one of the games that I would play.
          >
          > This is my second book. I didn't even try to publish my first book, Introduction in The Art of Gamefare: Defeating your Opponent in Half-Life's Counter-Strike. By the time I was done, it was too late to try to market my book. To avoid that mistake, my current book, The Art of Gamefare: Defeat your Opponent in Multiplayer Video Games, lists rules that apply to all games. Even though there are so many different types of games, games that use different rules, weapons, vehicles, and character classes, they still have much in common. I talk about attrition strategies, respawns, remote weapon, stealth, health and armor, and much more.

          > The book is currently being edited for content. My editor noticed that the book is slanted towards the first-person shooters and strategy games, which works for me.

          Well good luck on your new book, I hope it becomes very successful. I'll be looking for it on the shelves.

          > I was reminded today why I wrote the book. I was playing Battlefield 2142 and I was getting creamed. The problem was that I was getting creamed by my own team! Friendly Fire was enabled, and my trigger happy teammates figured it wasn't important to identify their targets before shooting. Friendly fire it ain't! I could barely get myself to the battlefield thanks to my over eager teammates. Either they were running me over, shooting me, dropping unto me, dropping artilery on me, or not reviving me. I was getting really frustrated.

          I haven't played "Battlefield 2142", the game looks to be a great game. I'll have to put it on my list of games to get.
          I really understand where you're coming from with the frustration of playing Multiplayer games. I rarely play MP outside of people I know. And I mostly play on our Lan with my 9 year old son at home. The last time I recall really enjoying a MP game was on an old game called "Myth" by a company called "Bungie".

          > Hey Darren, what games are you playing now? Supreme Commander? Do you play any first-person shooter strategy games?

          I'm playing Medieval II, though I've yet to finish Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth and Rise of Nations Legends. I've just bought Takeda II, but after playing the Total War, (Rome and Med II) it's difficult to go back... to a game that doesn't spoil us with beautiful graphics. I'm really into strategy games, though, in the past I've played a few FPS like Tribes, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon.
          But, I'm an older gamer... (over 40), I kinda have other responsibilities that take up a majority of my time, which doesn't involve gaming. I don't really have the time to sit down and play a game for more than an hour, If I get 2 hours to play... I think it must be my birthday. I prefer games that I can take notes and mentally contemplate and think of a strategy, apply them when I'm on the computer with a minimal amount of time. A game with convenient save options is an big plus.

          Again good luck on your next book. I'll be looking for it.

        • gus videos
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
            Thanks Darren!  I hope my book is a success too.  I am applying all the rules I learn in gaming to make the book succesful.  Let's see what happens.

            Playing regualary with known friends is a great way of cutting out the frustration.  It's a pleasure playing with someone you can trust to play well.  I guess why there are so many clans, or player clubs.  I have even met several gamers that simply impress me.  I make sure to let them know.

            I play more than 50 hours a week gaming.  It's a full time job.  It is hard to justify, though.  Some professional gamers play 16 hours a day.  Imagine that!  Fatality, the highest grossing professinal gamer, brought in more than $200,000 in one year!  He can definitely justify it.

            Playing with your son must be fun.  Does he kick your butt?

            Wow!  You are quite the gamer Darren.  It's funny that you mentioned Myth, because that game came to mind when you mentioned Total War.  I loved playing Myth and Myth II.  And it's a great way to learn large troop tactics.  Strategy games are the new chess, teaching us the rules of success.  And they are so much fun!

            I too am slowing down with gaming.  There are more important things I can be doing with my time.  I am also noticing differences in my reflexes and eye-coordination.  Age is affecting my gaming, so I find myself having to out-wit and out-think the youngens more often.  Teehee!  Doom on them!