Re: [Sun_Tzu] Re: Diplomacy Game

  • billr54619@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2006
      In a message dated 8/29/2006 11:47:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, andy1066nz@... writes:

      I remember playing Diplomacy as a board game years ago. We often
      played well into the night.. and early morning. For me, the most
      enjoyable aspect, apart from the beer &pizza, was the interaction
      of all the players. I do think this would be extreamly difficult to
      replicate in an internet or computer-based version of the game; even
      with web-cams, broad-band internet connections &other assorted bits
      of boffinry designed to make things faster &easier to use but that
      usually make my internet experience somewhat frustrating... Still, I
      digress...

      Diplomacy has always had a very strong play be mail contingent, now become play by email. There is a group dedicated to real time Diplomacy over the Net, though that is conflated with people trying to do AI programs, and they mostly do "gunboat" Diplomacy - just doing the moves, Microprose did put out a computer Diplomacy out for a couple of months with very poor AI, but that went off the shelves when Hasbro bought out Avalon Hill. In the past year, Hasbro just got around to licensing another computer Diplomacy game through Paradox Entertainment. It also has issues, since the Paradox people, who really do have a nice AI engine in their Europa Universalis series, went a little bit overboard, and actually made it more difficult to just do a real-time event with n number of players. This may have been traceable to stupid direction from Hasbro, which does not seem to have a very good grasp of adult games, or really, anything more complex than Risk and Monopoly.

      Bill Riggs