US vs Bin Ladn et. al. Who uses more Sun Tzu?

  • kueikutzu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2002
      I am hoping I am wrong, but Al Quaeda has taken some blows but none
      seem to be mortal and it seems to be only a matter of time before they
      make themselves known again.

      The US is prosecuting the war with uncertain allies faltering and
      shifting goals and an economy that is suddenly looking very shaky.
      The Middle East, that perpetual tinderbox and point of contention
      between the US and it's Arab Allies continues to boil over and has
      actually succeeded in diverting attention with a bifurcated impact,
      reinforcing images of Arab terrorism, reinforcing images of Western
      oppression.

      Afghanistan is now no longer under the Taliban although if the US
      keeps on relying on it's allies there without and real understanding
      of the culture and the people, things do not bode well. Some channels
      of finance have been closed and existing plans and avenues have been
      blocked.

      However, I find myself hoping that more is going on than is being
      said, that having the CIA hire felons is more than the sum total of
      the "unleashing" of the US intelligence.

      In this light, who has better applied Sunzi? If Al Qaeda is
      encouraging the current intifada (which could have happened at any
      time, but its re-occurance now is timely) they are certainly bidding
      to disrupt US alliances. If the US strategy is to stop terrorism, all
      they need to do is to maintain some destructive potential to thwart
      our strategy. By forcing us to prosecute the war overseas, and devote
      resources, they are causing us to bear a disproportionate cost. By
      forcing the US to ally itself with less than stellar democrats (one of
      the oddest bits of realpolitik I've seen in recent years is the US
      urging restraint on India to not retaliate against terrorist attacks
      because it would interfere with the US retaliation against
      terrorists), it opens us to further resentments (although, honestly, I
      do not know as yet how much blame the US bears for the hatred against
      it, the US is not flawless but the US may be resented no matter what
      it does).

      So, when we make calculations in the temple, who will win?

      Regards
      Douglas
    • n25an
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2002
        A smaller more mobile force usually has the advantage against a
        larger force hence the reason the american war for independence was
        successful...

        The terrorists did what they did becuase they are fighting for well
        ideals... we are doing what we are doing for well lets put it
        bluntly... keeping the president in office... its wag the dog all
        over again... classic misdirection... keep your eye on the hand not
        the ball...

        remember sun tzu's opening line... war is a serious thing and as
        such must be waged with all seriousness... If this is so... why are
        civilians going to be privy to the internal workings of this war
        until its over... and then maybe 50 years from now we will really
        understand it... remember hindsight is always 20/20...

        Now if you look at the war in comparison to others that america has
        faced... its doing ok... but also remember even though the economy
        is going bad... wars have always tended to revitalize our economy...
        atleast that's my perception...

        take it for what its worth...

        good day...