Re: [Sun_Tzu] Re: Trans/Vers of Sun Tzu - JHHuang

  • Lare/Mo Lei-Li
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Douglas Henderson wrote:

      > I had problems with Huang much as I did with Red Pine's translation of
      >
      > the Tao Te Ching (Daodejing). The faulty scholarship in his
      > introduction made me not read further. The problem is one of time, is
      >
      > this text worthwhile?

      .....> Since I am working with the original, I try to avoid studying the
      translations too closely. Kinda like peeking at the answers while you
      are working on the equation.

      I don't remember being impressed with Huang's translation or his
      columnar outline format. But his footnotes are invaluable. You can
      have the front of the book , but save me the back!

      In a way, I feel the same about Sawyer. It's his supporting material
      that is most valuable to me. What small portions of his translation I
      have crosschecked after finishing an essay did not particularly impress
      me.

      Btw, Checked out sonshi.com for the chapter I just finished studying
      (essay 4); and like it. It flows well and gets [my] ideas across.

      -Mo Lei-Li