Some preliminary thoughts on the World Trade Center

  • kueikutzu@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2001
      Thus far, what evidence there is seems to indicate the succesful
      application of several principles of Sunzi. Bearing in mind however,
      that terrorism has a slightly different focus than direct warfare.
      (note: the following is based on islamic or middle eastern based
      terrorists, as the evidence seems to indicate at this point)
      It seems as though there was direct disinformation. Western
      Intelligence apparently was on the alert for an attack outside of the
      United States. Making a noise in the east to strike in the West
      indeed! (of course, it is possible that signals were simply misread,
      in which case it would not apply)

      How well does this terrorist know the mind of his opponent? One could
      argue that in striking the way he did, he does not, because he has
      made himself impossible to ignore and so invites retaliation. On the
      other hand, that could be precisely what he is banking on. If the US
      (and the West) strike back indiscriminately it could be portrayed as
      the West attacking an islamic country or area and so rally adherents.

      The tactics involved were very unconventional, and were designed to
      exploit US weaknesses. I would imagine that after the Cole incident,
      most proximate military targets would have been hardened, and so using
      civil aviation to attack the pentagon and WTC was a matter of finding
      the weak point. However, since this attack has been succesful, it has
      now become the conventional attack, and I seriously doubt that the
      next attack, (if it comes soon) will follow the same format. If I
      were a military planner, I would look to see what area the attack is
      drawing attention away *from* and keep an eye on that as well. Of
      course, the problem that one cannot be strong everywhere applies here
      as well.

      At a hunch, I would suspect that they would strike next outside of the
      US, if this is to be an ongoing quick campaign. Of course, the
      depends on whether they want to strike before the US can find them, or
      whether they are planning a protracted campaign and figure they can
      wait.

      Not claiming responsibility is skillful as well, it delays reaction
      and increases the possibility of strain among the allies (divide
      alliances).

      All in all, a skillful approach so far, I just hope that the US
      response is equally skillful, although the rhetoric so far does not
      bode well.

      Regards
      Douglas
    • KEYILIANG@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2001
        Hi,

        I was wondering if anyone has any Sunzi or Sun Bin passages that specifically relate to the WTC attack.

        thanks

        Ke Yiliang
      • norpinal@yahoo.ca
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2001
          --- In Sun_Tzu@y..., KEYILIANG@A... wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone has any Sunzi or Sun Bin passages that
          specifically
          > relate to the WTC attack.
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > Ke Yiliang

          I doubt the terrorists studied Sun Tzu
        • Douglas Henderson
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2001
            --- In Sun_Tzu@y..., norpinal@y... wrote:
            > --- In Sun_Tzu@y..., KEYILIANG@A... wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I was wondering if anyone has any Sunzi or Sun Bin passages that
            > specifically
            > > relate to the WTC attack.
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > Ke Yiliang
            >

            > I doubt the terrorists studied Sun Tzu

            It is also doubtful that Maozedong studied Sun Tzu, but he and others
            have absorbed some of the principles through the Chinese popular
            culture.

            What can also be done is to see if the principles are validated or
            disproved by others, whether they are consciously following or
            flouting Sunzi.

            For instance, Alexander the Great or Chingis Khan or Guderian, etc.

            Regards
            Douglas